Dunfermline 2nds 8, Selkirk 'A' 19

Selkirk 'A' dig deep for victory

SELKIRK 'A' got back to winning ways at McKane Park on Saturday, notching a hard-fought victory over a big Dunfermline team to clinch the Division Three points.

Although the match was played in bright, sunny conditions without a breath of wind, the black, glutinous playing surface tested the stamina of both sides.

The visitors got off to a flying start when full-back Michael Jaffray made a 40-metre break from his own '22', with Craig Hunter carrying on the move before slipping the ball to scrum-half Bruce Armstrong, who touched down under the posts. Gavin Craig kicked the conversion.

Dunfermline hit back through a Gribbin penalty, but soon afterwards Hunter engineered a clever outside break following a tap penalty to score wide out. This made the halftime score 12-3 to Selkirk, who had earlier lost the services of hooker Alan Marshall with a leg knock.

After the interval it was Dunfermline - under the charge of former Selkirk coach Barry Hughes - who stepped up a gear, and only a superb, bone-crunching tackle by Keith Connor prevented a certain home try as the Fifers laid siege to Selkirk's line.

Eventually the home side did manage a score from turnover ball, and for a while it looked as though the Souters might surrender their advantage. However, a wonderful solo try by Armstrong, who weaved his way past four Dunfermline defenders following a scrum pick-up 25 metres out, knocked the heart out of the home team. Craig's successful conversion ended the scoring.

Full credit must go to all the Selkirk 'A' players for never giving up against physically stronger opponents, with the back row of Bryan Hoggan, Neil Brown and Ryan Crockatt deserving special mention for putting in the hard yards all afternoon.

SELKIRK - M. Jaffray, C. Hunter, S. Hendrie, C. Cochrane, G. Fairbairn, G. Craig, B. Armstrong, J. Stephen, I. Walling, G. Patterson, K. Connor, S. Renwick, R. Crockatt, B. Hoggan, N. Brown. Replacements (all used) - G. Hancock, T. Walling, A. Marshall, G. Jeffrey, M. Rodgerson.

Referee - G. Cairns (Bannockburn).