Haddington 2nds 29, Selkirk A 0

Haddington outgun Selkirk 'A'

DIVISION Three leaders Haddington 2nds have almost certainly clinched promotion following Saturday's convincing victory over Selkirk 'A'. Bigger and stronger up front, the home side simply proved too hot to handle, keeping the Souters score-less for the first time this season.
Selkirk didn't help themselves by committing a string of errors throughout the match, largely the result of indifferent passing and fragmented support play. Indeed had it not been for a typically gritty performance by skipper Bryan Hoggan, who led by example throughout, the size of defeat might have been greater.
Playing against the strong breeze in the first half, a thumping tackle by Gary Lyall forced a Haddington turnover, and Michael Jaffray was quick to fly-hack the ball up to the home try line. Alas, Selkirk then lost their own line-out, and the chance was lost.
For the next 15 minutes the visitors withstood a furious onslaught by the East Lothian team, but eventually Haddington had superior numbers on the left touchline and Colin Glass touched down in the corner.
A penalty from scrum-half Fraser Weston extended the home side's lead, before tries from Townsend and Watt put Haddington 22-0 in front at halftime.
Selkirk made good use of the wind at their backs in the second period, with Michael McVie, Greg Fairbairn and Gavin Craig all stopped short of the line after individual breaks.
A try by Weston, which he converted himself, ended the scoring, but Selkirk hooker Ian Walling had the satisfaction of taking three successive strikes against the head in the final five minutes of the contest.

SELKIRK 'A'- M. Jaffray, G. Fairbairn, N. Brown, G. Lyall, B. Armstrong, G. Craig, M. McVie, G. Patterson, I. Walling, J. Stephen, K. Connor, G. Jeffrey, G. Hancock, D. Gray, B. Hoggan. Replacement - M. Rodgerson.

BREAK-OUT. Selkirk 'A' scrum-half Michael McVie breaks blind in Saturday's Scottish 2nd XV Leagues match against Haddington 2nds.