Edinburgh Accies 27, Selkirk 17

Selkirk self-destruct after bright start

AHEAD 17-6 at halftime, for a few heady moments at Raeburn Place on Saturday it looked as though Selkirk's players had finally begun to turn around their season.
However, for the second successive week Selkirk failed to score a single point after the break, allowing the home side to pile on 21 of their own, thereby ensuring their opponents would leave the capital empty-handed.
Early on in the match it had all looked so promising for the Philiphaugh men. Even the loss of lock Simon Robson with a twisted knee after 20 minutes couldn't dampen the visiting side's spirit. Teenage replacement David Gray - making his first BT Premiership appearance for the club - played with bags of confidence in the back row, while scrum-half Michael McVie also did everything asked of him in his first senior start since November 8th last year.
Selkirk drew first blood when Scott Tomlinson broke the gain line in the 23rd minute and slipped an inside pass to wing Simon Murdoch. The dynamic Kiwi needed no second invitation to pin his ears bag and go for the line, side-stepping a defender on his way to scoring his second try in three games. Blair added the conversion, having previously kicked a penalty. Soon afterwards Denver Rumney had to retire to the sidelines with a head knock, allowing replacement Alistair Lyall to take the field. Within minutes of his arrival, Lyall had dived over in the corner for Selkirk's second try, after a run by Tomlinson had been carried on by Michael Rutherford and Fraser Harkness. Blair's conversion sailed over from the touchline, giving Selkirk an impressive 17-6 halftime lead, with Accies' points having come from two Arnold penalties.

After the break it was all downhill for the visitors. Missed tackles and the concession of an avalanche of penalties allowed the Edinburgh side to grow in confidence. Accies' tactics after the break were to play through their forwards, and the home eight's rolling mauls repeatedly put Selkirk on the back foot.
In particular the Edinburgh side's Australian inside centre was now causing all kinds of problems, and it came as no surprise when Couper and Lously went over for tries, one of which was converted. Two more penalties from the boot of Arnold followed, and with the game going into the final minutes, Selkirk were still battling hard to try and get back into contention. Unfortunately a spilled pass inside the '22' allowed Accies to win a scrum, and when the ball was passed back to Douglas, the Accies player calmly dropped a goal to deny the visitors a bonus point and rub salt into Selkirk's already smarting wounds.
For their match against Kelso this Saturday, a committed display over the full 80 minutes will be required from Selkirk if they are to have a realistic chance of making progress up the league table.

SELKIRK - F. Harkness, S. Murdoch, G. Blair, S. Tomlinson, D. Rumney (rep. A. Lyall 24 mins), M. Rutherford, M. McVie, R. Taylor (rep. G. Ruthven 43 mins), E. Robbie (rep. I. Walling 43 mins), M. Murray, S. Robson (rep. D. Gray 20 mins), M. Barnett, N. Darling, R. Crockatt, A. Heatlie.