Gala 2nds 20, Selkirk 'A' 7

Injury to Gray hits Selkirk 'A' hard as league leaders Gala preserve unbeaten league record

IN CONTROL. Selkirk's Guy Blair kicks for position during Saturday's Border Farm Supplies Championship match against Gala 2nds at Netherdale. (Photo: Grant Kinghorn)

DESPITE putting up a brave display against Border Farm Supplies Championship leaders Gala 2nds at a chilly Netherdale on Saturday, Selkirk 'A' were denied even a losing bonus point when the Maroons scored a late try to stretch their winning margin to 13 points.

The match was overshadowed by a serious leg injury to Selkirk's blindside flanker David Gray, who had to be stretchered from the field and taken to the Borders General Hospital for X-rays.

The injury was later diagnosed as torn knee and hip muscles, and comes at a particularly frustrating time for the young farmer, who has only recently made a full recovery from an ankle knock. His place on the field was taken by replacement Scott McDonald.

It was the visitors who made the brightest start, with Guy Blair's accurate line kicks pinning Gala back in their own 22, and Alistair Dickson's strong runs keeping the home defences at full stretch. Lock Callum Marshall was just held up over the line as the visitors pushed hard to open their account.

Selkirk suffered another blow when fly-half Darren Scott limped from the field with a dead leg, necessitating a complete reshuffle of the back division, with Blair switching to fly-half and replacement Chris Davies taking over at full-back.

A penalty from the boot of Dean Keddie was the only score of the first half, and just after the break Gala went further ahead when speedy wing Shaun Law sprinted over for a try. Penalty attempts were then missed by Blair and Andrew Renwick, before Keddie touched down to put Gala 13-0 ahead.

Although the visitors reduced the deficit to 13-7 with a try from Alistair Dickson converted by Fraser Jack, Gala had the final say when that man Law intercepted a Selkirk pass to run almost the whole length of the field to score under the posts. Keddie's conversion ended a frustrating afternoon for the Souters.

SELKIRK - G. Blair, J. Hendrie, C. MacDougall, A. Dickson, A. Lyall, D. Scott, F. Jack, S. Renwick, I. Walling, R. Price, C. Marshall, A. Renwick, A. Millar, D. Gray, M. Robertson. Replacements: R. Cook, D. Purves, C. Davies, S. McDonald.