Selkirk 'A' 50, Jed-Forest 2nds 0

Selkirk 'A' hold all the aces as short-handed Jed made to struggle

IT was virtually one-way traffic in Saturday's Border Farm Supplies Championship match between Selkirk 'A' and Jed-Forest 2nds at Philiphaugh. The visitors' cause wasn't helped by only having 16 players in their squad, but the home team helped by loaning them some Selkirk players for the afternoon.

Ahead 24-0 at halftime, Selkirk were never in any real danger of losing the contest, but all credit to the visiting team for battling right to the final whistle. Number eight John Everitt emerged as one of the home side's leading lights, setting up several of Selkirk's eight tries and generally leading from the front.

Wing Neil Brown opened the home team's account with a try following a five-metre scrum, then full-back Guy Blair increased the home lead after a surging run by Selkirk's talented young lock Callum Marshall. Darren Scott added the conversion.

Next a pop-up pass from Everitt sent skipper Fraser Jack charging over for his team's third try, before Marshall himself got on the score sheet after a series of pick-and-drives had kept the Jed-Forest defence at full stretch.

After the break it was Selkirk replacement Alex Godsmark who made an immediate impact with a brace of tries, the first following good leading-up work by Alan McDowall and that man Everitt.

In the closing minutes of the match flanker Matthew Robertson crossed for a try, before Callum Marshall brought the curtain down on a triumphant afternoon for the Souters by crossing for his second score. Darren Scott completed the home tally with five conversions.

SELKIRK - G. Blair, J. Ross, A. Dickson, J. Hendrie, N. Brown, D. Scott, F. Jack, A. McDowall, S. Rodgerson, S. Renwick, S. McDonald, C. Marshall, A. Renwick, A. Millar, J. Everitt. Replacements: C. Davies, C. MacDougall, M. Robertson, B. Reid, A. Godsmark, K. Connor, B. Purves.

Referees - D. Douglas (Hawick).

Callum Marshall - two
tries for Selkirk.