Selkirk 'A' 36, Melrose 2nds 0

Selkirk 'A' remain in play-off contention with big win over Melrose

FOLLOWING the previous week's hard-fought victory over Hawick Linden, Selkirk 'A' continued their impressive form with a convincing win over Melrose 2nds at Philiphaugh on Saturday. The result consolidates the Souters' top-four place in the Border Farm Supplies Championship, and keeps the team on course to make the league play-offs.

Michael Rutherford kicked an early penalty to put Selkirk ahead, and soon afterwards the home side increased its lead when lock Andrew Renwick - who had an outstanding afternoon - broke clean through the visitors' defences and swapped passes with Craig MacDougall before crashing over for a fine try.

Just before halftime full-back Guy Blair released David Gray on a breenge upfield, and when stopped, the livewire flanker found Ian Walling in support and the hooker deftly sidestepped his way past two defenders to score. Rutherford converted, giving the home side a 15-0 interval lead.

Melrose began the second half with an all-out assault on the Selkirk line, but solid defending by the home players saw the visitors come away empty-handed. A penalty try was then awarded after Jason Hendrie was adjudged to have been obstructed when chasing a fly-hack over the line for what looked likely to have been a certain try. Rutherford converted.

Midway through the half a 50-metre break by Andrew Renwick was rounded off by a try from Guy Blair, and the same player touched down just before the final whistle after Chris Davies had linked intelligently with Craig MacDougall to set up the score. Rutherford added his fourth conversion of the afternoon to set the seal on a satisfying victory.

"All the boys stuck in well today," Selkirk coach Ewen Robbie commented after the match, "and everybody's attitude was spot-on. Another big effort is going to be required this Saturday against Haddington, who are going really well, but I'm confident the Selkirk players will rise to the challenge."

SELKIRK - G. Blair, J. Ross, A. Lyall, J. Hendrie, N. Brown, M. Rutherford, F. Jack, R. Price, I. Walling, S. Renwick, A. Renwick, D. Purves, A. Millar, D. Gray, R. Crockatt. Replacements: C. Davies, C. MacDougall, M. Robertson, S. McDonald.

Referees - P. Lindsay (Walkerburn).

Andrew Renwick - in
fine form for Selkirk.

Selkirk 3rds back in business with promising showing against Melrose

Selkirk 3rds 14, Melrose 3rds 17

AFTER a gap of six years, Selkirk's 3rd XV made a promising comeback against Melrose 3rds on Saturday. Conceding two tries in the first 10 minutes meant that the Souters were always chasing the game, but the team - skippered by flanker Richard Cook - stuck gamely to their task and were always in contention.

Tries for the home side came from Alex Godsmark and Chris Johnston, with Darren Scott landing both conversions. A special mention goes to 'old heads' Donny Mackenzie, Tim Cove, Lindsay Carrick and Duncan Lawson for coming out of retirement for the occasion. All four acquitted themselves well, and the success of the venture looks certain to result in more fixtures at this level in the coming months.