Selkirk 16, Currie 35

 Times are getting hard as Currie make it hot

TIMES are not easy at Philiphaugh and the club will be chasing miracles for a place in the top eight. This game had everything - late kick-off and early score - but little satisfaction in terms of points.
Head coach Graham Marshall now knows, if he did not realise before a ball was kicked, that a top eight qualifying place in Premiership 1 is fast disappearing.
There was joy that Lee Jones had won a pro contract with Edinburgh and only frustration that he had been lost to the club.
But not even Jones, after setting up the opening try, could stop the rot at Philiphaugh. Currie were simply too powerful and strong for a Selkirk side, for whom it will have been another learning experience.
Currie ran in five tries for the bonus point, and Marshall admitted: "We need to stop leaking easy tries, but let's be honest, they are a very good team.
"They come forward well and put us under a lot of pressure, but we stuck to our task although we did not use the ball the way we should have at times.
"But it was an improved performance and we did well to restrict them to one try in the second half."
Currie overcame a number of hurdles before they broke their duck with their first win of the season. The kick-off was delayed an hour after their coach broke down at Gorebridge and then they were caught cold and lost a try in the opening minute.

Referee Iain Heard, who had a golf date in the evening at Langholm, was content to enjoy the sun in the wait at the ground. "There might be rules, but I can play anytime," he said.
And he was soon raising his hand as Fraser Harkness ran round behind the posts from Jones' break at halfway and David Cassidy converted.
However, Currie soon showed their resilience and tries from James Johnston, Mike Entwhistle, Ross Weston and Andy MacMahon with four Jon Smith conversions gave them a 28-16 half-time break, Cassidy replying with two penalties and a dropped goal.
Johnston added a second-half try to keep Selkirk at bay, and only stout Souters defence kept Currie out.

Selkirk: F. Harkness; N. Godsmark, D. Cassidy, R. Armstrong, L. Jones; G. Craig, M. McVie; R. Taylor, I. Walling, M. Weller, C. Patton, C. Marshall, N. Darling, R. Godsmark, A. Renwick. Subs: M. Martin, G. Patterson, C. Johnston, R. Aglen, A. Lyall.