Selkirk Stormers 38, Heriot's 3rds 26


WHAT a difference a week makes!

Stormers were back to their best to secure another five points in Reserve East 2 against a strong Heriot's team.
A good turn out at training on Thursday and good availability of players set the base for this victory. Playing with the wind at their backs Stormers had the better of the first 20 minutes with Chris Shand using his formidable boot to good effect.
Shand opened the scoring from a penalty following good driving work by the forwards. Tom Swan then chased down another kick by Shand into the far corner and charged down the clearance kick to score.
Some missed tackles allowed Heriot's to gain territory and score under the posts and add the conversion.
Scott Tough had another impressive game, always asking questions of the defence with his sniping runs and tactical kicks. It was from one of these runs breaking blind from the base of the scrum that he squeezed over for the second try. Shand converted to make the half-time score 13-7.
The coaches decided not to make any changes at half-time and the second half started as the first with a try from Swan, running from his own half and beating the cover defence, and another penalty from Shand.
However, they dropped their focus and Heriot's took full advantage with a converted try following an excellent pass by Bruce Mercer to the opposition!
Ben Purves was unlucky to knock on over the line when chasing another Tough kick ahead, but then made up for this finishing off the best move of the day with forwards and backs combining from inside their own half. Again Stormers allowed Heriot's back into the game with another converted try.
The forwards continued to work hard and make telling forays into the Heriot's half. It fell to Swan to make the difference with another strong piece of direct running to score under the posts for his hat-trick.
Swan was determined to bag another try and profited from a clever kick by Tough and which rebounded of a player's leg into Swan's hands on the halfway line.
He left the defence trailing only to be scythed down two yards short of the line, but managed to gather himself and 'Swan' dive over the line to clinch a hard-fought victory.
This was a workman like effort by all of the players with a large slice of skill throughout the team. Man-of-the-Match went to David Gray, who was always on hand to take the ball forward at the opposition, looking to keep the ball alive, and covering back with some excellent tackling.

This takes the Stormers to third in their league and the challenge is now to take this level of performance on the road to face a strong looking Stewart's Melville.
Stormers: B Purves; R Henderson, B Wilkinson, D Swinbanks, T Swan; C Shand, S Tough; C Henderson (capt), S Rogerson, N Weilbo, S Welsh, C Ward, B Amos, M Doggan, D Gray. Subs: C Fairbairn, R Cook, B Reid, G Patterson, B Mercer.