Selkirk 23, Watsonians 20

Selkirk just hold on in scrappy contest

Man of the Match, Andrew Renwick touches down, having another great game for Selkirk

IN a nerve-tingling finale, Selkirk held on under a late Watsonians siege to win a close basement encounter. It was Selkirk's first win of the season, but did not quite bring total relief to coaches Graham Marshall and Rodney Pow. Captain Fraser Harkness hobbled off twice with a leg injury and lock Simon Willett was rushed to hospital with a bad shoulder injury.
"Not what we wanted," said Pow. "We have lost Lee Jones and Alex Dunbar, and now the injuries, with also Scott Hendrie watching from the touchline with a badly damaged shoulder. "Nevertheless, we will take that win and hope that the injuries clear up soon."
Marshall admitted: "It was a pretty scrappy match, but our boys did well to hold on in the final minutes. We always knew that it would be hard this season, but all credit to the lads." Selkirk were able to field twins Niall Godsmark, who scored a try on his debut, and Ryan Godsmark, who started off on the bench, while the goal-kicking of David Cassidy was also crucial.
The Selkirk Man-of-the-Match went to try scorer Andrew (Jock) Renwick, but Ross Armstrong could not have been far behind despite missing a glorious try-scoring opportunity. Mike Ker passed up a chance to level the scores with a minute left when he kicked a penalty to the corner, but the Selkirk defence held out in the four minutes of injury time. Cassidy proved the match-winner with three penalties and two conversions while Godsmark celebrated his debut with a try. Watsonians took advantage of hesitancy for Duncan Finnie to score and Ker converted in just two minutes. Selkirk should have scored from Gavin Craig's break, Armstrong knocked the ball on as he crossed the line. Then Harkness hirpled off with a leg injury. Cassidy kicked a penalty and Renwick cut inside for a score, which Cassidy converted.
Cassidy then landed a 40-metre penalty.
Cassidy missed for a second time on the restart and paid the penalty as Ker slotted one at the other end. However, Godsmark touched down and Cassidy converted.
Watsonians were held up on the line until Ker added a second penalty for a high tackle.
Watsonians drew level when Sergio Ursache scored under the posts and Ker converted before Cassidy kicked the winning penalty with three minutes left.

Selkirk: F. Harkness; N. Godsmark, D. Cassidy, R. Armstrong, J. Hendrie; G. Craig, M. McVie; M. Weller, S. Forrest, R. Taylor, C. Marshall, S. Willett, N. Darling, A. Renwick, C. Johnston. Subs: G. Patterson, C. Patton, I. Walling, R. Godsmark, A. Lyall.