West of Scotland 26, Selkirk 22

The points go West at Burnbrae in a mistake strewn loss for The Souters

Gordon Patterson is stopped in his tracks by two West. defenders

No way through for Stand-Off Gavin Craig

SELKIRK gained its first point of the season - a losing bonus at Burnbrae - but lost four tries when so much had been expected.
Five David Cassidy penalties and a late Rob Taylor try was not enough to savour a win and kickstart their season. After a nervy start, West settled into their stride first with a try after six minutes. Centre Kyle Matheson's initial break led to a slick handling by their backs, Calum McKenzie touching down for an unconverted try.
Selkirk struggled to find their composure. However, they made ground with Darren Clapperton and Gavin Craig showing the way. Cassidy opened Selkirk's account with a well struck penalty and frankly, the remainder of the first half held very few highlights apart from Cassidy's kicking expertise.
The slender 15-11 half-time lead showed the value of having a top-class goal kicker. Conor Davis had landed a couple of penalties for the home team.
Selkirk got off to the worst possible start in the second half when a Cassidy crossfield kick was gathered by McKenzie, who released Davis on a clear run to score another unconverted try. Eight minutes later, Davis again showed up the frailties in Selkirk's defence when he broke through to send McKenzie in for his second try.
West enjoyed territorial advantage and Selkirk were living on scraps of possession. Davis collected his second try and West's bonus point try courtesy of a fortunate bounce of the ball, which evaded the Selkirk defenders.
Selkirk trailed by 25-26, but the introduction of Callum Marshall had an immediate impact and his superb catch and break led to Taylor powering over for Selkirk's first Premier One try of the season. Cassidy added the conversion and the Souters were now on the ascendancy, although time was running out.
Clapperton was brought down inches short after Cassidy's pass paved the way. Selkirk encamped on West's try line for the final five minutes, but the home team's defence held firm.

Referee Iain Heard's full-time whistle brought relief to the home supporters and Selkirk were left licking their wounds.