Selkirk 'A' 50, Hamilton 2nds 13

Second half rally sees Selkirk 'A' subdue lively Hamilton team

JOB DONE. The Selkirk 'A' players relax at the post-match debriefing following Saturday's 50-13 victory over Hamilton 2nds.

WITH several 'A' team regulars on senior duty at Peebles, a handful of Stormers players were drafted into the home line-up for Saturday's RBS Reserve League National 2 match at Philiphaugh. After a shaky start, the new-look team eventually gelled to set up a convincing win.
On a bone-hard pitch under a cloudless sky, both teams ran the ball at every opportunity. It was the visitors who made the more confident start, full-back Andy Wilson scoring a try in the 10th minute, with Russell Virtue's penalty two minutes later putting Hamilton 8-0 up.
It took the home side until the 25th minute to cut the deficit, lock Ruaridh Wilson crashing over under the posts after Fraser Jack and Jason Hendrie had drawn the visitors' cover.
Hamilton hit back almost immediately when turnover ball allowed prop Ally Adams to score.
The final play of the first half saw scrum-half Mikey Davies take a quick tap penalty close to the posts, with hooker Michael Waldron barging his way over the line for a try, converted by Shand, to put Selkirk 14-13 ahead at the break.
Whatever coaches Tom Ramage, Michael Jaffray and Iain Paxton said to the home players at halftime had the desired effect, with Selkirk looking unrecognisable from the side that had struggled to control the game prior to the interval.
A bizarre double turnover on the Hamilton line saw Scott Tough touch down out on the right, and soon afterwards Brendon Reid crashed over for Selkirk's bonus point try.
To their credit Hamilton's players continued to fend off Selkirk attacks with some courageous tackling, but eventually the Philiphaugh men got the upper hand to put the result beyond doubt.
In the final quarter, man-of-the-match Ruaridh Wilson scored his second try of the game, followed by a penalty try awarded after Hamilton had illegally thwarted a certain home score.
Selkirk's final touchdown came from replacement Ben Purves, with Chris Shand adding three second half conversions.
Selkirk Stormers' match against Stewart's/Melville 3rds was called off after the Inverleith club said it couldn't raise a side.

SELKIRK - S. Tough C. Shand, G. Lyall, J. Hendrie, R. Henderson, F. Jack, M. Davies, B. Reid, M. Waldron, C. Henderson, R. Wilson, J. Turnbull, W. McClymont, K. Reid, M. Robertson. Replacements: N. Weilbo, F. Tough, B. Purves, S. Farrell.
Referee - Andrew Mitchell (Earlston).