Biggar 16 - Selkirk 16

From the kick-off, the Hartreemill team showed that they were desperate to secure safety points in Premier League C against high-flying Selkirk. The first 15 minutes demonstrated that this game was going to be a tight affair and it was somewhat against the run of play when David Cassidy kicked the Souters into a 3-0 lead with a well struck penalty kick. The first half conditions favoured the visitors but Biggar enjoyed the lion's share of possession and their backs and forwards combined well with some fine handling moves orchestrated by fly half, Connor Lavery. Selkirk defended well but all too often their attempts to turn play into attack floundered with disappointing handling errors. Biggar were definitely the more industrious and winning the set pieces. Without the ball Selkirk were unable exert territorial advantage and the home team were looking quite comfortable playing into the wind. Biggar drew level at 3-3 when Craig Parker slotted a penalty kick and half-time arrived with few Selkirk plus points.
Five minutes into the second half Parker kicked his second successful penalty and Cassidy did likewise a few minutes later to bring the scores level. The Selkirk pack was starting to "up the ante" and storming runs by Rory Aglen and Pete Mirrielees had the Biggar defence working overtime. However, with 30 minutes remaining the game swung back in Biggar's favour with Parker's 3rd penalty quickly followed by the first try of the afternoon. Selkirk had not conceded a single try in their two previous Premier C games but on this occasion it was the alert actions of Kiwi, Hata Wilbore which resulted in Cassidy's clearance kick being charged down. The ball bounced kindly for the Biggar winger and he strolled over for a touchdown under the posts. Parker brought out full points and all of a sudden Biggar had opened up a ten points lead at 16-6. This setback stirred Selkirk and they were soon on the offensive hammering their way into the Biggar 22. After a telling forwards drive for the line was halted, the ball was quickly recycled for scrum half, Michael McVie to crash over for fine try near the posts. Cassidy converted and the Souters continued to exert pressure with the game entering the final quarter. This pressure was turned into valuable points when Biggar gave away a penalty bang in front of the posts and David Cassidy brought the scores level at 16 apiece. A draw was a fair result at the end of the day and both teams could not be faulted for lack of effort. Selkirk showed character to come back from a 10 points deficit playing into the wind. This was a tough encounter between two well-drilled teams. Selkirk move onto 41 points with the bottom 4 teams still to play. By virtue of their win versus West, Kelso top the league table on 43 points and Biggar edge upwards into 3rd place on 36 points. However, both these teams have only two league games remaining.