Selkirk 15 Falkirk 17

March went out meekly, like a lamb, for Selkirk at Philiphaugh on Saturday in their final home Premier C league game of the season against a solid Falkirk team. Indeed the only reason for the Souters to celebrate was the off-field lunch in honour of the club's latest internationalist, Lee Jones.
Although it took the visitors until injury time to kick the winning points, from nearly the half way line, this was a game that they should have won with a bit more to spare. Indeed their No 6 dropped the ball in the end zone not once but twice. The Selkirk squad blighted by an injury list of toilet roll length coupled with unavailability was always going to find this game to be an uphill struggle and so it proved to be. However, no point in trying to make excuses and the better team won on the day.
Selkirk's cause was a dealt an early blow when ace goal kicker David Cassidy retired through injury and there were few plus marks in the first half as the Souters struggled up front in the scrums and were second best at the lineout. Falkirk scored first through a Jonny Hope penalty but Selkirk responded with a try in the corner by winger Michael Davies who made the most of his few opportunities. Fullback Hope was soon involved in a backs move for the visitors which resulted in Bob Wylie crossing over for a try on the half hour mark. Selkirk bounced back with a hallmark Fraser Harkness try after scrum half Michael McVie had created an opening to unleash "Harky" at pace. McVie added the conversion and Selkirk were 12-8 ahead at the interval. Niall Godsmark and Scott Hendrie had looked menacing with ball in hand in the Selkirk backs, but possession was a rarity if the truth be known.
Falkirk stepped up a gear in the second half and enjoyed lengthy spells in Selkirk territory. The defence was coping under severe pressure but indiscretion allowed Hope to strike over another penalty to narrow the gap to one point. In a rare counter attack McVie responded with a successful penalty for Selkirk. By the latter stages of the game the Falkirk pack dominated in all phases and two late penalties from the boot of Hope sunk Selkirk's hopes! A losing bonus point was little consolation leaving them a single point behind Kelso in Premier C. Saturday also heralded the last performance in a Selkirk jersey for Kiwi, Pete Mirrielees who proved himself to be an experienced and tough competitor over the past four months at Philiphaugh.