Aberdeen Grammar 2nds 36, Selkirk 'A' 21


Tom Penman - suffered broken shoulder.

SATURDAY'S RBS Reserve League National 1 match at Rubislaw was overshadowed by a serious injury to Selkirk 'A' teenage threequarter Tom Penman, who fractured his shoulder when making a defensive tackle in the first half.
He was quickly seen by the Aberdeen club doctor, and later went for an X-ray at the BGH. "It was extremely painful," said Tom from his home on Sunday, "but there's a chance I might not have to have an operation. I'll be going to the hospital for regular assessments over the coming weeks, so we'll just have to wait and see what happens."
In the match itself, Aberdeen made the stronger start and within five minutes were an unconverted try to the good. Selkirk hit back and went 9-5 up thanks to three penalty kicks from Rory Banks. Just on half time the home side scored a try, making the halftime score Aberdeen 2nds 10, Selkirk 'A' 9.
After the break Selkirk faced a strong wind, but Matt Robertson (playing on the wing in place of the injured Penman) scored in the corner to put the visitors ahead. In the next 15 minutes Aberdeen scored another two converted tries to make the score 24-14 to the home side.
After some strong defence from Selkirk, Ryan Henderson intercepted a pass in his own 22 and ran the length of the field to score under the posts, making an easy conversion for Banks to bring the score to 24-21.
In the last five minutes Aberdeen scored a couple of late tries, but all credit to Selkirk in making a game of it, despite also losing Nik Wielbo to another shoulder injury.
Special mentions go to Scott Bell and Hard Aynsley for their hard work in defence while playing out of their regular positions, while up front Michael Waldron, Allan Lambie and Sean Nixon all shone.

SELKIRK - K. Monks, R. Henderson, S. Bell, H. Aynsley, T. Penman, R. Banks, M. Davies, M. Waldron, J. Bett, N. Wielbo, A. Lambie, R. Wilson, S. McDonald, M. Robertson, J. Everitt. Reps: S. Nixon, B. Reid.