Selkirk ‘A’ 26, Ayr 2nds 23


LEFT – Selkirk ‘A’ full-back Scott Bell is surrounded by Ayr 2nds players as he tries to break upfield on Saturday. RIGHT – Fly-half Scott McColm is stopped just short of the try line by Ayr’s full-back, but manages to get a scoring pass away to Mike Davies. (Photos: Grant Kinghorn)

SATURDAY’S rearranged RBS Reserve League National 1 fixture against Ayr 2nds was a must-win game for Selkirk ‘A’, if the Philiphaugh side is to have any chance of clawing their way out of the league’s relegation zone.
Thanks to a great team effort, John Everitt’s men managed to battle their way to a hard-fought 26-23 bonus point victory, which could yet prove priceless come the end of the league campaign.
Despite being outweighed up front by the visitors, the home forwards upped their work rate and commitment levels to gain parity in both the set piece and loose. And with Selkirk fly-half Callum McColm having an outstanding game, the stage was set for an absorbing afternoon’s rugby.
It took Selkirk just four minutes to open their account - evergreen prop Martin Murray peeling from a rolling maul close to the visitors’ line to bulldoze his way over for a try.
Hardly had the home supporters had time to draw breath than Selkirk stretched their lead. With six minutes gone a brilliant break up the middle by the mercurial McColm saw the Selkirk No. 10 stopped just short of the goalposts. He managed to off-load to half-back partner Mikey Davies, who gratefully accepted the pass and touched down. McColm’s conversion put Selkirk 12-0 up.
Ayr hit back with a try from centre Michael Beckwith, converted by Colin Steel, who added a penalty on the half-hour mark. However, by halftime Selkirk had stretched their lead to 19-10 thanks to a great piece of opportunism by skipper John Everitt, who fly-hacked a spilled ball and chased it over the Ayr line to touch down his team’s third try. McColm added the conversion.
After the break Nik Wielbo replaced prop Calvin Henderson, with Jamie Turnbull coming on for lock Kris Mitchell, who had taken a knock to the head. Ayr cut the deficit thanks to a penalty from scrum-half Michael Pickles, but soon afterwards home centre Craig MacDougall scored Selkirk’s bonus point try which was converted by McColm.
In the closing stages Beckwith’s second try and one from James Young put Ayr within touching distance of Selkirk, but some stout defensive work saw the home side hang on for a well deserved win.

SELKIRK - S. Bell, H. Aynsley, L. MacLennan, C. MacDougall, K. Monks, C. McColm, M. Davies, C. Henderson, J. Bett, M. Murray, K. Mitchell, A. Lambie, S. Nixon, M. Robertson, J. Everitt. Replacements: R. Henderson, B. Purves, N. Wielbo, J. Turnbull, M. Waldron.

Referee- Gary King (Hawick).
+ This Friday night, Selkirk ‘A’ plays a rearranged league game against Boroughmuir 2nds at Meggetland (7pm kick-off).