Melrose Storm 29, Selkirk 'A' 20


Sean Nixon - scored Selkirk's opening try

DESPITE a good all-round performance, Selkirk 'A' just failed to clinch their first RBS Reserve League National 1 away victory on Saturday, losing out to Melrose Storm in a close-run, entertaining contest at the Greenyards.
"I thought all the boys put in a big effort today," Selkirk skipper John Everitt said after the match, "and in truth the result could have gone either way. This improved performance should lift morale for Saturday's match at Goldenacre against league leaders Heriot's FP, and we'll all be working hard at training to keep up the momentum."
It was the visitors who took an early lead through a penalty from Craig MacDougall, and they went further ahead when flanker Sean Nixon exploited a mix-up at a scrum on the Melrose line to pounce on the loose ball and score an opportunist try.
The home side hit back with two tries of their own, but the Philiphaugh players kept battling away in both defence and attack to remain very much in contention at halftime.
After the break fly-half Callum McColm took the field after missing the first half through a work commitment. The fly-half made an immediate impact, supplying a scoring pass to Craig MacDougall after Sean Nixon had won line-out ball which had been quickly transferred by Mikey Davies. MacDougall crashed over for a try under the posts, which he also converted.
Melrose went ahead through another brace of converted tries, but Selkirk stayed in the hunt with a try out wide from Matt Robertson following Davies' quickly taken tap penalty.
Despite putting pressure on the home team in the closing stages of the game, Selkirk were unable to turn this into points and ended up 29-20 losers.

SELKIRK - S. Bell, H. Aynsley, A. Given, A. Lyall, S. Tough, C. MacDougall, M. Davies, B. Reid, M. Waldron, C. Henderson, E. Turner, A. Lambie, S. Nixon, M. Robertson, J. Everitt. Replacements: C. McColm, S. Renwick, J. Turnbull.
Referee - D. Douglas (Hawick).