Selkirk Stormers 43, Boroughmuir Bears 40


Ben Purves - scored Stormers' first try.

ANYONE lucky enough to be at Philiphaugh on Saturday to watch the RBS Reserve League East 1 match between Selkirk Stormers and the Boroughmuir Bears saw one of the most exciting encounters at the ground this season.
The home team started slowly, conceding a couple of tries through loose kicks and allowing Boroughmuir to dominate the first quarter. However, the Stormers started to find some rhythm and brought the scores level before half time with two well taken tries - the first from Ben Purves after great lead up work from Derek McFadzen and Scott Tough, the second from a bulldozing charge for the line by Chris Fairbairn after a succession of great drives from his fellow forwards. Daniel Pringle added the conversion to make the half-time score 12-12.
The second half started very much the same as the first, with Boroughmuir capitalising on poor Selkirk kicking and racing to a 26 - 12 lead with two converted tries.
Poor kicking seemed to become contagious and Boroughmuir then reciprocated and David Cassidy gratefully accepted two quick tries, the first from a good counter-attack from Selkirk after a loose clearance, then the second straight from a fine run from Ben Purves, who gave a scoring pass to Cassidy.
Boroughmuir grabbed another converted try to lead 24-33 going into the final quarter, but Stormers grabbed another try through Lee Kibble (29-33). In the final 10 minutes Selkirk hit the front for the first time with another Cassidy score after some aggressive driving from the forwards, with Willie McClymont to the fore (33-36).
Boroughmuir stormed back with a converted try under the posts to take the lead back with minutes to go (36-40). Straight from the restart Selkirk managed to snatch possession and some dynamic picking and driving eventually saw the ball pass through the hands of Cassidy, Wilkinson, Lyall and Purves - Ryan Henderson scoring wide out on the right to secure victory. Cassidy rounded off a fine display with a conversion from the touchline.
Congratulations go to both sides for what was a fantastic advert for rugby.

STORMERS - B. Purves, R. Henderson, A. Lyall, B. Wilkinson, S. Farrell, D. Pringle, S. Tough, N Wielbo, S. Rodgerson, C. Fairbairn, L. Carrick, C. Heatlie, G. Henderson, W. McClymont, D. McFadzen. Reps: D. Cassidy, L. Kibble, C. Shand.