Selkirk ‘A’ 6, Ayr 2nds 26


ANXIOUS WAIT. The Selkirk and Ayr physios, Michelle Wallace and Rosie Davie, attend injured players Ryan Crockatt and Nigel Beckworth out on the Philiphaugh pitch prior to the ambulances’ arrival.


SATURDAY’S RBS Reserve League National 1 match at Philiphaugh between Selkirk ‘A’ and Ayr 2nds was overshadowed by the first half collision involving home number eight Ryan Crockatt and Ayr winger Nigel Beckworth. The players accidentally clashed heads while running at full tilt towards each other in a bid to secure Ayr scrum-half David Armstrong’s high box kick, knocking each other out cold.

Selkirk physio Michelle Wallace and Ayr physio Rosie Davie rushed from the touchline to attend the prone pair, with Selkirk scrum-half Jason Hendrie having the presence of mind to immediately remove Ryan’s gum shield to keep the unconscious player’s airway clear.
Selkirk team manager Tom Ramage immediately called for an ambulance, and within a very short space of time two had arrived at the ground (the first being driven by paramedic Mike Craig, a former Selkirk player).
While Ryan and Nigel were being assessed and treated by the four paramedics, both teams returned to their respective dressing rooms, and the game was halted for 35 minutes as the two injured players were immobilized and taken to Borders General Hospital’s A & E Department.
After examination the Ayr winger, who had suffered bruising to his jaw, was deemed to have recovered sufficiently to be allowed to return to Philiphaugh, and managed to arrive in time to catch the team bus back to Millbrae.
Although scans thankfully revealed no fractures, the severity of Ryan Crockatt’s concussion meant he was kept in hospital under close observation for two nights, and latest reports indicate his condition continues to improve and that he will make a full recovery.
“It was a fearful collision,” said Selkirk president John Rutherford after the game, “which could be heard right around the ground. The club is extremely grateful for the professionalism shown by the medical teams who dealt with the incident, and we’re delighted both players are now on the mend.”
In the match itself, Selkirk put up a brave fight against bigger and more physical opponents. Trailing 26-6 at the interval, the home side spent almost the entire second half camped in and around Ayr’s 22, but couldn’t find a way through the visitors’ well organised defence. As a result there was no further scoring.
Selkirk’s points came from two Rory Banks penalties, while Ayr’s tries were scored by Stuart Fenwick, Cammy Taylor, Graham Williamson and Robbie Shirra-Gibb. Skipper Sylvain Diez kicked three conversions.
Selkirk captain Craig MacDougall was named the home team’s ‘man of the match’, with mentions in despatches going to lock Alan Lambie and second half replacement Callum Marshall, as well as to young replacements Ross Purves and Scott McClymont.

Callum Marshall launches a counter-attack from his own half. [Photos: GRANT KINGHORN]

Selkirk ‘A’ scrum-half Jason Hendrie sets his back division in motion.

SELKIRK ‘A’ – L. MacLennan, C. McEwan, A. Given, C. MacDougall, T. Walling, R. Banks, J. Hendrie, M. Waldron, R. Wilson, B. Riddell, A. Lambie, E. Turner, M. Robertson, S. Nixon, R. Crockatt. Replacements: C. Marshall, C. Elliot, R. Purves, J. Welsh, F. Jack, S. McClymont.

AYR 2nds – I. Renwick, C. Gossman, C. Taylor, R. Shirra-Gibb, N. Beckworth, S. Diez, D. Armstrong, W. Lyburn, W. Black, S. Fenwick, G. Williamson, J. Young, C. Brown, D. Young, S. Walker. Replacements: N. Sykes, A. Hutton, G. Swio, S. Penny, B. Cogley.

Referee – Andrew Edgar (St Boswells).