Selkirk ‘A’ 31, Boroughmuir 2nds 27


LEFT – Fly-half Michael Rutherford gets ready to release his threequarter line, watched by Ruairi Wilson (left) and Lewis MacLennan. RIGHT - Selkirk ‘A’ lock Sean Nixon leaps to secure line-out ball. [Photos: GRANT KINGHORN]

A TREMENDOUS second half resurgence saw Selkirk ‘A’ bounce back from last week’s defeat at Melrose to overcome Boroughmuir 2nds 31-27 in Saturday’s pulsating RBS Reserve League National 1 match at Philiphaugh.

“The boys certainly had to dig deep today,” Selkirk coach Neill Wood said after the game, “but they showed great self-belief when the chips were down. This team never gives up, and the players’ commitment over the whole 80 minutes was exceptional.”

This was Selkirk A’s fifth successive home victory, although when Scott McDonald’s men found themselves 22-13 down 15 minutes into the second half, things looked far from rosy. A telling moment came when wing Tom Walling single-handedly charged down a Boroughmuir conversion kick in front of the posts – his never-say-die attitude typifying the Souters’ spirit.

The home team suffered an early setback when prop Michael Waldron had to leave the field with a back injury following a heavy challenge, his place being taken by teenager Bruce Riddell. Two penalties by Rory Banks were answered by a Boroughmuir penalty and drop-goal, making the score 6-6 approaching the interval.

Just before the break Selkirk struck a decisive blow when Sean Nixon – who had an outstanding afternoon and was later named Selkirk’s ‘Man of the Match’ – latched on to Michael Rutherford’s neat inside pass to crash over for a try close to the posts. Banks converted, making the halftime score: Selkirk 13, Boroughmuir 6.

It was the visitors who called the shots after the interval, two quick tries and two penalties catapulting them into a 22-13 lead. However, during this period one of their locks received a yellow card and the home team was quick to take advantage.

Sustained pressure on the Boroughmuir line led to a try by scrum-half Callum McColm, followed by two further Banks penalties. Selkirk’s third try was scored by skipper Scott McDonald, converted by Banks, and although the visitors hit back with an unconverted try in injury time, Selkirk’s players held their nerve to pull off another impressive win.

SELKIRK –R. Banks, A. Scott, J. Hendrie, L. MacLennan, T. Walling, M. Rutherford, C. McColm, C. Elliott, R. Wilson, M. Waldron, J. Everitt, S. Nixon, M. Robertson, C. Johnston, S. McDonald. Replacements: B. Riddell, C. Grieve, W. McClymont, C. McEwan.

Referee – Andrew Edgar (St Boswells).