Selkirk ‘A’ 28, Heriot’s FP 2nds 19


Selkirk ‘A’ skipper Scott McDonald is first to the breakdown as Heriot’s try to move the ball upfield in Saturday’s RBS Reserve League National 1 game. Selkirk players Bruce Riddell and Eddie Turner lend support.

LEFT – Jason Hendrie gets ready to collar the Heriot’s full-back, with Andrew Given in support. RIGHT – Flanker Callum Johnston prevents the Heriot’s No. 8 from making a scrum break. [Photos: BRYAN JOHNSTONE]

VISITORS Heriot’s FP came to Philiphaugh on Saturday as defending RBS Reserve League National 1 champions, but it was the home side who eventually won the day thanks to another solid team performance.

Despite having several regulars drafted into the 1st XV squad, Selkirk ‘A’s players refused to be knocked off their stride, managing to resist early Heriot’s pressure until a missed tackle allowed the city side to score a converted try in the scoreboard corner.

With skipper Scott McDonald (later named Selkirk’s ‘Man of the Match’) giving a spirited lead, the home side hit back with a try of their own following a forward drive over the line - McDonald himself being credited with the touchdown.

Just before the interval Rory Banks kicked a penalty to edge the home side in front. Halftime score: Selkirk ‘A’ 8, Heriot’s FP 2nds 7.

The visitors made the stronger start to the second half, drawing first blood through a converted try after just five minutes. However,  the Souters hit back soon afterwards with a try from hooker Ian Walling, and grabbed the lead after McDonald again crossed the whitewash for his second try.

This seemed to settled home nerves, then on the 70-minute mark John Everitt dived over a pile of bodies on the line to score Selkirk’s bonus point try, which Rory Banks converted - later adding a penalty to finish off the scoring. Full-time score: Selkirk ‘A 28’, Heriot’s FP 2nds 19.

SELKIRK ‘A’ – R. Banks, T. Walling, J. Hendrie, A. Given , A. Scott, C. McEwan, S. Tough, M. Waldron, I. Walling, C. Elliott, S Renwick, E. Turner, C. Johnston, S. McDonald, S. Nixon. Replacements: J. Everitt, M. Robertson, B. Riddell, K. Monks, R. Purves.

Referee - Paul Lindsay (Gala).