Selkirk ‘A’ 22, Stirling County 2nds 10


LEFT – Selkirk ‘A’ scrum-half Mikey Davies chips ahead during Saturday’s 22-10 victory over Stirling County 2nds. RIGHT – Selkirk’s Michael Waldron scores Selkirk’s first try just before halftime.

LEFT – Selkirk A fly-half Callum McEwan clears his lines. RIGHT – John Everitt ships scrum ball watched by Callum Johnston. [Photos: GRANT KINGHORN]

SELKIRK ‘A’ continued their bright start to the season with a hard-fought victory over a big, physical Stirling County side at Philiphaugh on Saturday. Even the withdrawal of flanker Matt Robertson before kick-off with a shoulder injury couldn’t deflect Scott McDonald’s men, with Callum Johnston (himself recovering from a leg injury) playing the full 80 minutes.

With the wind at their backs, the Bridgehaugh men made the stronger start and opened the scoring with a converted try after seven minutes. The home players then began to find their feet and began to apply pressure on the visitors’ try line. After 35 minutes prop Michael Waldron crossed the whitewash after a series of rucks, his touchdown being converted by Mikey Davies.

In the last few seconds of the half Selkirk stand-off Callum McEwan scored near the posts after some enterprising play by both forwards and backs. Halftime score: Selkirk ‘A’ 12, Stirling County 2nds 7.

The visitors again started the stronger, and after only three minutes cut the deficit from a penalty. It was to be their only score of the second half, as thereafter Selkirk took a firm grip on proceedings by harnessing the wind behind them to play the game in County’s half.

In the 46th minute Davies kicked a penalty to restore the home team’s lead to five points. Ten minutes from time a bout of sustained pressure on the visitors’ try line resulted in Sean NIxon scoring an opportunist try after scrum-half Davies had charged down a County clearance kick. Davies added the conversion to set the seal on another solid Selkirk win.

This was an encouraging performance by the young Selkirk side - last season the team were well beaten in both fixtures. The whole side played with passion and grit, which should stand them in good stead for the rest season.

SELKIRK – L. MacLennan, J. Hendrie, A. Given, C. MacDougall, A. Scott, C. McEwan, M. Davies, M. Waldron, R. Wilson, B. Riddell, R. Fluhler, A. Lambie, C. Johnston, S. McDonald, S. Nixon. Replacements: R. Purves, C. Elliot, S Renwick.

Referee – Grant Denholm (Duns).