Hillhead/Jordanhill 13, Selkirk 34


LEFT – Selkirk centre Scott Hendrie battles to escape the clutches of two Hillhead/Jordanhill players in Saturday’s match at Hughenden. RIGHT – Number eight Matt Kissick soars above the opposition to win clean line-out ball.

LEFT – Josh Welsh was on target with four goal-kicks on Saturday, also scoring a try. RIGHT – Selkirk openside Angus Duckett goes under the posts for the visitors’ second try at Hughenden. [Photos: GRANT KINGHORN]

A THIRD successive bonus point victory on the road cemented Selkirk’s place amongst the RBS National League promotion contenders at Hughenden on Saturday. It was another confident showing by the Philiphaugh men, with Hillhead/Jordanhill unable to counter the visitors’ drive and finishing.

Despite conceding a try in the first five minutes of the match, when a botched call allowed home wing Daniel Osugo to score almost unopposed, Selkirk’s players quickly regrouped and hit their stride to take a 15-8 interval lead playing into the gusting wind.

“The boys played some of the best rugby I’ve seen from them this season in the first half,” head coach Alistair Dickson said after the final whistle. “Our second half display didn’t quite reach the same level, but we managed to come away with full points which was the main goal.

“Over the next three weeks we face Dundee, Kelso and Watsonians, so these fixtures will determine how far we can go this season. Right now the team is showing good concentration and application, and the players are going to need all their wits about them in the coming weeks to maintain this level of performance.”

Osugo’s fourth minute try was unconverted, but midway through the half full-back Andrew Leslie added a penalty to complete Hillhead/Jordanhill’s scoring before the interval. Selkirk hit back with well-worked tries from back row team-mates Angus Duckett and Matt Kissick, with Josh Welsh adding a conversion and a penalty to put the visitors 15-8 ahead at the break.

Early in the second period Selkirk wing Rory Banks intercepted a loose pass to race clear and score the visitors’ third try of the contest, and this paved the way for further tries from hooker James Bett - who was in fine form throughout - and Josh Welsh, the latter player adding all three conversions for a personal haul of 14 points.

One of the most heartening aspects of the match for the large contingent of Selkirk supporters who had travelled to Hughenden to watch the game, was the fact no Philiphaugh player suffered a serious injury during the 80 minutes – a welcome change of fortune given the recent spate of knocks which has bedevilled the Selkirk squad.

HILLHEAD/JORDANHILL – A. Leslie, S. Howie, C. Butler, S. Mills, D. Osugo, N. Findlay, T. Davidson, J. Pypher, J. Stafford, W. Goulden, J. Agnew, J. Fisken, D. Mitchell, D. Crichton, D. Grove. Replacements: J. Leslie, N. McAuley, J. Cross.

SELKIRK –J. Welsh, R. Banks, S. Hendrie, R. Nixon, D. Clapperton, G. Craig, M. Davies, G. Patterson, J. Bett, G. Turner, R. Fluhler, J. Everitt, E. MacDougall, A. Duckett, M. Kissick. Replacements: C. McEwan, R. Purves, C. Johnston, R. Crockatt, C. Graur.