Selkirk ‘A’ 22, Currie 2nds 17


Selkirk number eight John Everitt picks up from the base of a scrum, with Ross Purves ready to lend support.

Rory Banks prepares to win the ball, as Willie McClymont and Douglas Swinbanks await developments.

Selkirk ‘A’ threequarter Scott Hendrie prepares to off-load after being tackled by a Currie opponent.

Ex-players Stuart McCall, Cammy Guntley, Keith Johnston, Donny Mackenzie and Keith Amos aren’t hedging their bets during the Selkirk ‘A’ v. Currie 2nds match.

(Photos: Grant Kinghorn Pics]

THE fighting spirit which has served the young Selkirk ‘A’ side so well this season was again in evidence in Saturday’s BT Reserve League National 2 match against Currie 2nds at Philiphaugh on Saturday.

A display brimming with passion and pride saw the Souters pull off a memorable win over the city men. No-one epitomised the home team’s never-say-die attitude better than openside flanker Scott McClymont, who must have covered every blade of grass on the pitch during the game, and was later named Selkirk’s ‘Man of the Match’.

It was the visitors who opened the scoring with a well-worked (converted) try after 12 minutes, but Selkirk drew level five minutes later with a try from Scott McClymont, converted by Rory Banks.

On the half-hour mark the home team went ahead thanks to a try by the ever-alert Scott Hendrie, again converted by Banks, but almost immediately Currie hit back with their second touchdown, making the halftime score Selkirk ‘A’ 14, Currie 2nds 12.

Selkirk edged further ahead with a Banks penalty four minutes into the second half, before number eight John Everitt - making his comeback appearance after an eight-week injury lay-off - crossed for a try in the 53rd minute to put the home side 22-12 in front.

Selkirk’s cause wasn’t helped when yellow cards were shown to Jimmy Stephen and Jack Elliot in the closing 10 minutes of the match, and Currie took full advantage to score an unconverted try two minutes from time.

Despite a monumental effort by the visitors to snatch victory in the dying seconds, Selkirk’s 13 players stuck doggedly to their task to clinch their fifth league win of the season, moving them into fourth place in the table.
“This was a great performance by all the players,” Selkirk coach Fraser Jack said after the game, “with special mention going to Ross Purves for playing so well out of position at No. 9, and Bruce Riddell for doing such a good job at hooker. 

“It was also encouraging to see John Everitt and Michael Waldron settling back in with a full game, while Scott McClymont was outstanding throughout. I’m very pleased with the boys’ performance, and hope we can carry this form on the road to GHA this weekend.”

SELKIRK – S. Hendrie, L. Martin, A. Lyall, D. Swinbanks, C. McEwan, R. Banks, R. Purves, K. Thomson, B. Riddell, M. Waldron, J. Turnbull, R. Cook, S. McClymont, W. McClymont, J. Everitt. Replacements: C. Bruce, J. Elliot, J. Stephen, J. Hendrie.

Referee – Ross Mabon (Langholm).