Selkirk ‘A’ 27, Dundee Titans 17


LEFT – Flanker Willie McClymont dives over for Selkirk’s second try in Saturday’s hard-fought win over Dundee Titans. RIGHT – Fly-half Callum McEwan is out on his own to score Selkirk’s only try of the second half.

LEFT – Selkirk skipper Scott Tough prepares to convert Kieran Monks’ try early on in the contest. RIGHT – ‘Man of the Match’ Douglas Swinbanks takes no prisoners on as he powers over the gain line.

LEFT – Prop Jimmy Stephen feels the full force of the Dundee defence, as team-mate Scott Marshall looks on. RIGHT – Bruce Riddell has plenty of support as he tries to lift Dundee Titans’ siege. [Photos: BRYAN JOHNSTONE]

ANOTHER gutsy display against bigger and more physical opponents saw Selkirk’s young ‘A’ XV players record their seventh successive home victory of the season, thanks to a hard-fought 27-17 win over Dundee Titans in Saturday’s BT Reserve League National 2 fixture at Philiphaugh.
The home team got off to a flying start when, in the sixth minute, skipper Scott Tough chipped over the visitors’ defence and hacked the ball upfield. Selkirk won the ensuing ruck, and when the ball was switched wide to Kieran Monks on the left flank, the pacy full-back cut inside his opposite number to score. Tough added the conversion.
Dundee hit back straight from the restart when wing Dougie Gray showed commendable composure to latch on to a loose midfield pass and sprint home for a classic interception try.
With Jamie Turnbull winning good line-out ball, and No. 8 Scott McDonald solid in both defence and attack, the home side continued to pressurise the Dundee defence. However, when Selkirk failed to clear their lines Dundee were quick to capitalise – scrum-half Burhan Torgut scoring the visitors’ second try, converted by Josh Rutnagur, to put them 12-7 ahead.
Having only arrived at Philiphaugh with 15 players, Dundee found themselves reduced to 14 men just before halftime when lock forward Harley Ross had to leave the field with a shoulder injury. Selkirk made the most of his absence, taking a 14-12 halftime lead thanks to an opportunist try by Willie McClymont, converted by Tough.
With Ross back on the field after the break, Selkirk increased their lead to 17-12 from a Scott Tough penalty.
In the 55th minute Dundee centre Callum Bowie was shown a yellow card, and shortly afterwards Selkirk fly-half Callum McEwan sprinted over for the home team’s third try, following a superb break upfield by the ever-industrious Matt Roberson.
To their credit, Dundee continued to battle hard to get back into the match, but a second penalty in the 79th minute by Tough put the game beyond the visitors’ reach at 27-12. In injury time the Titans managed to score a consolation try through Gavin Robertson, bringing to an end a well contested and enjoyable game.
After the final whistle Selkirk’s strong-running centre, Douglas Swinbanks, was named ‘Man of the Match’.
SELKIRK - K. Monks, L. Martin, A. Lyall, D. Swinbanks, C. Bruce, C. McEwan, S. Tough, K. Thomson, R. Purves, B. Riddell, R. Cook, J. Turnbull, W. McClymont, M. Robertson, S. McDonald. Replacements: S. Marshall, J. Hendrie, J. Stephen, S. Mackay.
DUNDEE – J. Wright, D. Gray, R. McAuley, C. Bowie, D. Paterson, J. Rutnagur, B. Togut, G. Robertson, N. Dymock, S. Doig, M. Harland, H. Ross, C. Davey, J. Petty, S. Barlow.

Referee – Greg Robertson (Gala).