Selkirk ‘A’ 32, Hillhead-Jordanhill 2nds 5


ON THE ATTACK. Selkirk ‘A’ centre Andrew Given heads into Hillhead-Jordanhill territory, with Scott McClymont (in scrum cap) ready to offer support.

COPY THAT HOUSTON… Lock forward Jack Houston prepares to give a textbook pass to team-mate Andrew Given, watched by Callum and Jamie Turnbull. [Photos: LESLEY BRUCE]

AFTER suffering a heavy defeat at Hamilton the previous weekend, Selkirk A’s young players showed plenty of character in getting back to winning ways in Saturday’s BT Reserve League National 2 fixture against Hillhead-Jordanhill 2nds at Philiphaugh.

Playing against the strong wind in the first half, the home side found themselves trailing 5-0 after just five minutes after an early Hills try. However, the home side soon began to find their rhythm, and tries by Jack Elliot and Craig Bruce put Selkirk 10-5 ahead at the break.

It was a different story after the interval. With the elements now in their favour, it was the home players who began to call the shots. Skipper Rory Banks was in fine form at stand-off, distributing the ball well and keeping the visitors pinned in their own half with well-judged line kicks.

Secure handling in the blustery conditions resulted in tries for Kieran Monks, Lewis Martin and Robert Cook, so earning the Souters a bonus point. The rest of the home team’s points came from the boot of Rory Banks, who added two conversions and a penalty.

Selkirk made several substitutions during the match. Kyle Ramage was replaced by Jimmy Stephen after 30 minutes, while Darren Knox and Kieran Monks came on for Craig Bruce and Lewis Martin at halftime.

Bruce returned to the field on the hour-mark to take the place of scrum-half Kyle Stillie, while Martin was back in action in place of Jason Hendrie soon afterwards. Ten minutes from time Matt Robertson was replaced by Stillie.

SELKIRK - J. Elliot, C. Bruce, J. Hendrie, A. Given, L. Martin, R. Banks, K. Stillie, C. Turnbull, K. Thomson, K. Ramage, J. Turnbull, J. Houston, S. McClymont, R. Cook, M. Robertson. Replacements: J. Stephen, K. Monks, D. Knox.

Referee – Paul Lindsay (Walkerburn).