Selkirk ‘A’ 10, Stewart’s/Melville FP 2nds 7


Selkirk ‘A’ back row player Chaney Willemse launches another attack in Saturday’s BT Reserve League Division 2 victory over Stewart’s/Melville FP 2nds at Philiphaugh.

Scott Hendrie helps keep Selkirk ‘A’ on the front foot.

Line-out jumper Rob Cook secures possession for Selkirk ‘A’.

Selkirk ‘A’ centre Ross Purves gets his pass away in textbook fashion, watched by team-mate Rory Banks.

Photos: Grant Kinghorn Pics

IN what was undoubtedly their best performance of the season to date, Selkirk ‘A’ pulled off the shock victory of the day by narrowly defeating leaders Stewart’s/Melville FP 2nds in Saturday’s BT Reserve League National 2 game at Philiphaugh.
The match turned out to be a hard but highly entertaining contest, with both sides trying to move the ball at every opportunity and play attacking, flowing rugby.
That Selkirk were eventually able to win the match was down to the players’ resilience under pressure and rock-solid defence – particularly when the visitors went all-out for victory in the game’s final quarter.
It took the Souters just eight minutes to open the scoring when fly-half Rory Banks spotted a gap and ghosted his way through the visitors’ threequarter line for a well-deserved try. He added the conversion for good measure.
The game ebbed and flowed after this with Willie McClymont coming on after 15 minutes when number eight Matt Robertson left the pitch to have a blood injury treated. Robertson returned five minutes later, but Willie was soon back on the field to replace his brother Scott, who had taken a knock to his calf.
Just before the interval the visitors scored a converted try, making the halftime score Selkirk 7, Stewart’s/Melville FP 2nds 7.
At the start of the second half Ross Purves moved from centre to hooker to replace Ruairi Wilson, with Douglas Swinbanks coming off the bench to take over at inside centre. Scott McClymont also returned to the fray. Later in the half Jack Houston and Craig Bruce replaced Jamie Turnbull and Lewis Martin.
One of Selkirk ‘A’s most influential players on the day was 1st XV centre Scott Hendrie, now recovered from the leg injury picked up when turning out for the ‘A’ team against GHA 2nds at the beginning of the season- good news for the club.
Another welcome boost for home supporters was the first appearance in a Selkirk jersey of South African newcomer Chaney Willemse, the 21-year-old showing bags of commitment and speed of thought at openside flanker.
The only score of the second half came in the 55th minute when Rory Banks – later named as the Selkirk ‘Man of the Match’ – kicked a penalty to edge the Souters 10-7 ahead. This was the way things stood at the final whistle, with every member of the Selkirk squad having played their part in a truly impressive home effort.

SELKIRK – J. Elliot, L. Martin, S. Hendrie, R. Purves, K. Monks, R. Banks, S. Tough, B. Riddell, R. Wilson, K. Thomson, J. Turnbull, R. Cook, S. McClymont, M. Robertson, C. Willemse. Replacements: C. Bruce, W. McClymont, J. Houston, K. Stillie, D. Swinbanks.