Selkirk 22, Dundee HSFP 21


Despite being tackled, Selkirk breakaway Angus Duckett manages to get his pass away in Saturday’s dramatic 22-21win over Dundee HSFP at Philiphaugh.

Fly-half Callum McColm makes a typically determined break.

Selkirk number eight Callum Marshall looks for support from team-mates Angus Duckett and Matt Kissick.

Lock forward Matt Kissick battles for line-out ball, watched by wing-forward Chaney Willemse.

Jordan McGowan powers his way upfield in Saturday’s match against Dundee HSFP.

There’s no hiding the relief on the faces of Jordan McGowan and Josh Welsh as they leave the pitch after the final whistle.

Full-back Josh Welsh puts Selkirk into the lead with a penalty early in the first half.

Saturday’s mascots were Robbie McDonnell and Aidan McFarlane, pictured before kick-off with skipper Ross Nixon.


A LAST-GASP penalty from the boot of Rory Banks in Saturday’s cliff-hanger against Dundee HSFP at Philiphaugh allowed Selkirk to cling on to their 100 per cent winning record in BT National League Division 1.

Trailing 21-8 at halftime, the league leaders clearly had it all to do after the break. However, showing the resilience and self-belief that has helped them notch 13 straight wins, the Souters prevented the Mayfield team from adding a single point to their score, eventually overhauling Dundee’s total in the final minute of the match to chalk up league victory number 14.

Selkirk skipper Ross Nixon said afterwards he’d had no doubts about the ability of his team-mates to rescue the game. “You’ve got to have faith in the boys, and I had total confidence that we could turn things around in the second half.

“We’ve had a great run of results so far this season, and that’s bound to put a certain amount of pressure on the players. The best way to counteract this is to prepare for every match as you normally would, and just take things one game at a time.

“When we got that penalty late on in the game I asked Rory if he fancied a kick at goal. Straight away he said he did. In fact he was so confident about it that I knew he was going to send the ball between the posts, and that’s exactly what happened.”

A strong Dundee side arrived at Philiphaugh looking for revenge for their defeat at Mayfield by Selkirk in the third week of the campaign. And although Selkirk got off to a flying start when Josh Welsh kicked an early penalty, from then on the visitors’ forwards began to dominate proceedings.

Two penalties by stand-off Harry Millar put the Mayfield men in front, and the home team found themselves further behind when Dundee wing Matt O'Sullivan scored an opportunist try in the left-hand corner. Millar missed the conversion but made amends three minutes later when he kicked a third penalty to put Dundee 14-3 ahead.

Selkirk scored their first try after a line-out move close to the Dundee line, with the ever-alert Angus Duckett battering his way over the line despite the best efforts of a clutch of Dundee defenders.

Minutes later a mix-up in the home defence allowed Dundee wing forward Jon Petty to grab the loose ball and score a try under the posts, with Millar adding the easy conversion. Halftime score: Selkirk 8. Dundee 21.
The home side began the fightback straight after the restart when Duckett broke up the right flank and sent a well-judged lofted pass to Josh Welsh, who sprinted over at the corner post to score his team’s second try and reduce the deficit to 21-13.

Two missed penalties by Millar kept Selkirk in the hunt, before Rory Banks came off the replacements bench and kicked his first penalty to close the gap to five points.

Selkirk were now beginning to dominate the breakdown and Dundee found down to 14 men after O'Sullivan was yellow-carded for a infringement in the red zone. With 10 minutes to go Banks kicked another penalty kick to leave Selkirk just one point in arrears. For the remainder of the game Selkirk laid siege to Dundee’s try line but were twarted by some fine defensive work.

In the very last minute of regular time the visitors conceded a penalty in front of the posts, and Rory Banks  held his nerve to calmly step up and send over the winning goal-kick. This was another gutsy performance by the whole Selkirk squad, who never gave up until the final whistle.

The Four Seasons Forestry ‘Selkirk Man of the Match’ award went to hooker James Bett.

SELKIRK - J. Welsh, S. Hendrie, L. MacLennan, R. Nixon, D. Clapperton, C. McColm, M. Davies, K. Cooney, J. Bett, C. Graur, J. McGowan, M. Kissick, C. Willemse, A. Duckett, C. Marshall. Replacements: R. Banks, G. Patterson, B. Riddell, R. Wilson, M. Utteridge.

DUNDEE – Alston, Joy, Leese, McKavanagh, O'Sullivan, Millar, Dymock, Dymock, Russell, Brown, Robertson, Mulligan, Arnott, Petty, Sangster. Replacements: Dyer, Young, Hughan, Lowry, Cochrane.