Selkirk Stormers 72, Walkerburn 0


RIDERS ON THE STORM... The doors open on another season for Selkirk Stormers, pictured before Saturday’s friendly against Walkerburn at Philiphaugh. Back row, from left: Kyle Ramage, Lewis Beaton, Kieran Monks, Chris Fairbairn, Bob Wilkinson, Jack Houston, Adam Nichol, Dave Amos, Duncan Lawson, Michael McVie, Willie McClymont James Bett, Brian Cassidy, Benny Rafferty. Front: Kieran Cooney, Donny Mackenzie, Tom Walling, Blair Amos, Craig Bruce, Ewan MacDougall.

LEFT – Adam Nichol rises high to take line-out ball on Saturday. RIGHT – Bob Wilkinson weaves his way through the Walkerburn defence. [Photos: LESLEY BRUCE]

THE Caberston Haugh team travelled to Philiphaugh for a pre-season warm-up fixture against Selkirk Stormers on Saturday, bringing a squad of 25 with them with the intention of giving everyone a game.

Selkirk, whose own first string side had no game, had agreed to give some game time in the Stormers line-up to a few players from the higher ranks to improve their match fitness. Meanwhile it was good to see Michael McVie back having a run in Selkirk colours once again.
Selkirk took the initiative early on and it was more-or-less one-way traffic from there on: the game finishing slightly early with a score of 72-0 in the Souters’ favour. That said, Walkerburn certainly did not throw in the towel and played some excellent rugby, digging deep in defence.

Special mention goes to Selkirk debutants Craig Bruce, Jack Houston and Kyle Ramage for putting in decent shifts at scrum-half, lock and prop respectively. The only disappointment of the day came when home full-back Kieran Monks took a head knock which necessitated a hospital visit.

The fixture also achieved its aims off the field, with both teams socialising in the Philiphaugh clubrooms long after the final whistle. A good example of social rugby at its best. Stormers’ try scorers - McVie (3), Beaton (3), Bruce, Monks, MacDougall, Amos, Bett and Cooney. McVie added six conversions.
STORMERS  - K. Monks, D. Lawson, L. Beaton, B. Wilkinson, T. Walling, M. McVie, C. Bruce, C. Fairbairn, J. Bett, K. Ramage, A. Nichol, J. Houston, B. Amos, W. McClymont, E. MacDougall. Replacements: K. Cooney, D. Mackenzie.

Referee – Stuart Little.