Watsonians 26, Selkirk 35


LEFT – Selkirk number eight Callum Marshall launches another attack in Tuesday night’s 35-26 win over Watsonians at Myreside. RIGHT – Prop Cata Graur, who scored Selkirk’s first try, ties in three Watsonians defenders as he takes the game to the city team.


SELKIRK’S dream season continued at Myreside on Tuesday night, where the visitors dug deep to pull off another thrilling victory.

The BT National League Division 1 champions have now won all 21 of their league matches to date, and a place in the history books beckons if the Philiphaugh men can overcome Kelso in their final fixture at Poynder Park this Saturday.

Watsonians gave early notice they weren’t there to make up the numbers by stunning Selkirk with a Ewan Miller try in the very first minute of the match. Andrew Chalmers’ conversion put the city side 7-0 ahead.

To their credit Selkirk refused to panic, and within five minutes the Souters gave their large travelling support something to cheer about when prop Cata Graur forced his way over the line for a try following a spell of forward pressure.

A successful penalty by Rory Banks edged Selkirk into the lead, and in the 22nd minute Scott Hendrie cleverly cut inside the Watsonians defence to score a try near the right-hand corner. Banks’ conversion saw Selkirk go 15-7 up.

The Myreside men cut the deficit to a single point with a runaway score by scrum-half Reiss Cullen, before Banks steadied the ship for the visitors with a penalty, making the halftime score 18-14 in Selkirk’s favour.

Early in the second half Watsonians regained the lead through an Aaron Johnston try, but a brace of touchdowns by Selkirk centre Craig MacDougall, both converted by Banks, gave the Souters a 32-19 lead going into the final 10 minutes of the match.

Back came Watsonians, wing Ben Robbins slicing through for a converted try to take the home team to within six points of the visitors. The league champions held their nerve, however, and in the final minute Rory Banks coolly landed a drop goal to set the seal on another remarkable victory.

WATSONIANS – N. Montgomery, B. Robbins, R. Aitken, T. Hart, R. Greenhalgh, A. Chalmers, R. Cullen, M. Christie, A. Ross, C. Sheldon, C. Harvey, S. Taylor, J. Neary, E. Miller, R. Drummond. Replacements: C. Macleod, A. Johnston, E. Martin, B. Walls, C. Barrie.

SELKIRK - S. Hendrie, C. McEwan, R. Nixon, C. MacDougall, L. MacLennan, R. Banks, M. Davies, K. Cooney, J. Bett, C. Graur, J. Everitt, M. Kissick, E. MacDougall, A. Duckett, C. Marshall. Replacements: S. Tough, J. McGowan, B. Riddell, G. Patterson, M. Utteridge.

Referee – Charles Samson (Howe of Fife)

LEFT – Stand-off Rory Banks, who finished with a personal haul of 15 points, about to kick one of his two successful penalties. RIGHT – Selkirk’s double try-scorer, Craig MacDougall, offloads in the nick of time to team-mate Callum McEwan.