Andrew Renwick scores Selkirk’s first try of the match on Saturday. [Photos: GRANT KINGHORN]


WITH their performances improving every week, the 1st XV looked like difficult opponents for Saturday’s match against Boroughmuir at Meggetland and sure enough, this proved true on the day.

Selkirk started well, being awarded a penalty within five minutes due to an infringement in the scrum. This was converted by Rory Banks to give Selkirk a 0-3 lead. Soon after Boroughmuir repeated their error and Banks stepped again up to score another three points.

Selkirk were looking good from here on, winning the ball back from a Boroughmuir lineout twice in a row, after having conceded two penalties.

Selkirk were defending desperately after this with the opposition relentlessly pushing forward, and although the Souters managed to hold up the home side’s first attempt at a try this wasn’t enough as Boroughmuir number eight Magnus Bradbury drove over the line to bring the score closer at 5-6.

More pressure on the 1st XV after this meant more errors, as they conceded a penalty which was kicked by Greg Cannie to put the home team ahead by two points. Boroughmuir wanted more before the end of the first half though, as Andy Rose ran in their second try under the posts soon after, leaving the half time score as 15-6.

The Souters were unlucky at the beginning of the second half, with two potential tries being held up but this determination was quickly rewarded with Andrew Renwick pushing over the line to touch down Selkirk’s first try and make the score 15-11.

Play was equal from both sides after this, until some unfortunate clumsy handling from Selkirk awarded the opposition possession, with Mark Hare scoring under the posts to make it 22-11.

Just like previous weeks though, Selkirk were determined not to give up, despite being behind, and hold off another Boroughmuir attack, before clearing downfield to put their own pressure on the home team. A trademark break from Dashton Wellman just minutes after resulted in him reaching the try line and, although he was held up, some great supportive play from the forwards resulted in prop Cata Graur touching down in the last minute.

Banks converted Selkirk’s second try, to bring the final score to 22-18, giving Selkirk a vital bonus point. As the referee blew for full time to bring the match to a close, it was another loss for Selkirk, but yet again they showed that they are no pushovers in this league, and a win will, without doubt, be close now.

Making his 100th appearance for the club on Saturday was vice-captain Ewan MacDougall.

The 1st XV will hope that this win will come next week when they play Hawick at Philiphaugh.

SELKIRK: R. Banks, L. MacLennan, C. MacDougall, R. Nixon, S. Hendrie, D. Wellman, M. Davies, K. Cooney, J. Bett, D. Byrne, A. Renwick, P. Forrest, C. Johnston, E. MacDougall, C. Marshall. Replacements: C. McEwan, B. Riddell, C. Graur, C. Gregory-Ring, Y. Hartzenberg.

BOROUGHMUIR: C. Marshall, E. Farquharson, A. Cox, G. Cannie, G. McConnell, C. Laidlaw, R. Smith, R. Wilson, S. Crombie, C. Bachurzewski, I. Moody, S. Gibson, C. Reid, A. Rose, M. Bradbury. Replacements: C. Davies, D. Robertson, C. Keddie, D. Steele, R. Van Balkom.