Selkirk 40 Peebles 14


Cata Graur attempts to move the ball forward, supported by new prop Fabien Tetart and James Bett.


IT was back to work on Saturday for Selkirk as they took on Peebles in their first game of the Booker Border League at Philiphaugh.

In the 10th minute, number eight Callum Marshall burst through the Peebles defence after receiving a pass from centre Craig MacDougall, diving over the line to secure Selkirkís first try of the match. New recruit Cameron Ring then added the conversion.

Soon afterwards, Peebles number 15 Greg Raeburn narrowly missed a penalty on the 17-minute mark. A nasty collision in the ruck left the Selkirk coaches and supporters worried as new prop Fabien Tetart lay on the ground dazed. The Frenchman got up after a few minutes, but the 1st XV coaches were taking no chances as they took him off to be replaced by Kieran Cooney.

Pressure from Peebles almost resulted in a try in the 27th minute, with Josh Welsh just managing to force Peebles winger Neil Hogarth into touch near the try-line.

Selkirk turned up the heat just before halftime, with young debutant winger Frazer Anderson sprinting up the wing after receiving a pass from skipper Ross Nixon. Anderson didnít get too far, however, as Greg Raeburn was sin-binned for a high tackle on him.

The Souters used this to their advantage when second row Jordan McGowan crashed over the Peebles line for Selkirkís second try, converted by Ring right on half time to make it 14-0.

The second half didnít disappoint, providing more action from the outset. McGowan continued his impressive form, touching down his second try amongst a guddle of boots and hands. Ring then stepped up to convert his third of the match, showing his impressive kicking ability.

Selkirk didnít slow down from there, with McGowan completing his hat-trick, touching the ball down by the posts just six minutes after his previous try. Ring again converted.

Three substitutions followed, with Cata Graur being replaced by Tetart, and Andrew Renwick and Ruairi Wilson coming on for new boy Max Gordon and hooker James Bett, respectively.

Frazer Anderson looked as though he was going to get a debut try after a well-placed kick by Nixon, but it wasnít to be, as Peebles centre Ruaridh Clinch intercepted the attempt, and quickly counter-attacked.

This move worked well for the visitors, with Peeblesí pacy winger Harrison touching down for the visitorsí first try of the match. Greg Raeburn converted to make it 28-7 to Selkirk.

Ross Nixon then moved into the stand-off position as Scott Tough replaced Mikey Davies as scrum-half and new recruit Dave Allan came on for Cameron Ring, who had enjoyed a good first game, and moved onto the wing, pushing Lewis MacLennan into centre.

In the final 10 minutes a flurry of tries saw McGowan score his fourth, converted by Welsh, to stretch the home teamís lead to 36-7.

Peebles scored a consolation try through Neil Hogarth, converted by their stand-off McGahan.

The final try of the match was scored by Callum Marshall (his second), after an offload from Scott McDonald. The referee blew his whistle minutes later, to set the seal on a great start to the season by Selkirk.

SELKIRK: J. Welsh, L. MacLennan, C. MacDougall, R. Nixon, F. Anderson, C. Ring, M. Davies, C. Graur, J. Bett, F. Tetart, J. McGowan, S. McDonald, E. MacDougall, M. Gordon, C. Marshall. Replacements: S. Tough, D. Allan, A. Renwick, R. Wilson,
K. Cooney.

PEEBLES: G. Raeburn, N. Hogarth, R. Clinch, C. Pye, J. Harrison, M. McGahan, D. Anderson, A. Brown, G. Pringle, G. Turner, R. Brown, W. Brown, L. Brink, R. Harrison, K. Brown. Replacements: W. Napier, R. Wilson, J. Dow, D. Anderson, M. Brown.

Referee: Gordon Corry (Gala Wanderers)

Jordan McGowan (left) poses with Callum Marshall after the match, in which they scored four and two tries, respectively. [Photos: GRANT KINGHORN]