Hooker Ruairi Wilson hangs on to the ball despite the attentions of Dundee Titans’ wing-forward Clinton Davey. Team-mate Jack Houston stands by to offer support.

Selkirk number eight Donald Nichol breaks out of defence, tracked by team-mate Ryan Shiel, in Saturday’s thrilling, end-to-end contest.


CLEARLY bolstered by the previous weekend’s superb win at Musselburgh, Selkirk ‘A’ proved too strong for a gutsy Dundee Titans team in Saturday’s BT Reserve League National 2 fixture at Philiphaugh.
This is the first time the young Souters have managed to record back-to-back victories in the current campaign, and as a result have hauled themselves out of the relegation zone to take fifth place in the league table.
“The boys did everything that was asked of them today, and showed great character into the bargain,” said Selkirk ‘A’ coach Brian Cassidy after the match. “The players have worked extra hard in training over the past couple of weeks to raise their performance levels, and this effort is clearly beginning to pay dividends.”
Despite a try count of 8-1, the Dundee players never stopped battling for the duration of the whole game – this despite only travelling south with a squad of just 15 players, and after losing one of their forwards to injury midway through the second half. It was a great effort, and one very much appreciated by the spectators, who were treated to a fine game of rugby.
Selkirk suffered an early blow when centre Lewis MacLennan, whose clever footwork and support play had helped engineer Selkirk’s opening two tries, had to retire to the touchline with a hamstring strain. His place was taken by Ally Lyall.
The return of Alan Lambie added extra ballast to the home pack, while second row partner Jack Houston proved adept at consistently winning line-out ball on the Titans’ throw. Half-backs McEwan and McColm continued their profitable partnership, with Dave Allan a tower of strength in midfield.
Ahead 17-0 at halftime, Selkirk’s try scorers in the match were Dave Allan, Callum McEwan, Ruairi Wilson (2), Ross Purves (2), Lewis Martin and Callum McColm. Rory Hamilton added three conversions.
Right at the death Dundee deservedly got on the score sheet with a well-worked try by their strong-running openside flanker Robert Cabermalwasa.
Selkirk picked up another injury late in the second half when replacement prop Kieran Thomson had to be helped from the pitch with a sprained ankle.
One of the afternoon’s most memorable moments came during skipper Robert Cook’s dressing room team talk, when he very probably became the first captain in the history of the modern game to employ the word ‘Velociraptor’ in his motivational speech. Not only that, his pronunciation was spot-on (he’s obviously been affected by working with old dinosaurs like Cass and Smaily)…

SELKIRK – R. Hamilton, G. Ross, L. MacLennan, D. Allan, K. Gerrard, C. McColm, C. McEwan, R. Reilly, R. Wilson, C. Graur, J. Houston, A. Lambie, R. Cook, R. Purves, D. Nichol. Replacements: R. Shiel, L. Martin, A. Lyall, J. Griffin, J. Stephen, W. McClymont, K. Thomson.
DUNDEE - C. Gray, D. Gray, N. Carrion Llorens, R. Myles, E. McKay, M. McLeod, G. Tosh, O. Dyer, R. Beresford, S. McDonagh, R. Paterson, E. Whitfield, C. Davey, O. Davidson, R. Cabermalwasa.
Referee – David Douglas (Hawick Wanderers).