There's no stopping Selkirk 'A' blindside flanker Ross Purves as he sprints over for the visitors' second try in Friday night's friendly against Peebles 2nds.

Hooker Ruairi Wilson and loosehead Robbie Reilly prepare to lock horns with their opposite numbers at Hay Lodge Park on Friday night.

Selkirk 'A' prop Bonekele Siyothula drives upfield to set up an attacking platform for the visitors.

Stand-off Callum McColm's ball distribution was first class in Friday night's game, despite the atrocious conditions.


Peebles 2nds 19, Selkirk 'A' 10

FRIDAY night's friendly fixture between Selkirk 'A' and Peebles 2nds at Hay Lodge Park was brought to a close by the referee 10 minutes early, after Selkirk openside flanker Strath Mackenzie landed awkwardly when tackled, sustaining what initially looked a serious neck injury.
Selkirk physio Ryan Crockatt immediately ran on to the field to attend to the injured player, and an ambulance was called as a precautionary measure.
"You can't take any chances in these situations," Ryan told the web site after the game, "and it was crucial Strath remained immobile until a full assessment of his condition had been conducted."
Thankfully the injury was muscular in nature, and not as severe as had at first been feared, and within a short space of time Strath was able to get to his feet and return to the changing rooms unaided.
"The response time of the ambulance team was extremely quick," added Ryan, "and the Selkirk club is very grateful for the professional way the paramedics dealt with the situation."
The match itself proved a tightly contested affair, with Peebles' bigger forwards proving a tough challenge for the visiting pack to keep in check.
Trailing 12-5 at the interval, Selkirk's tries came from skipper Rob Cook from a pick-up at a five-metre scrum, while a scintillating break by stand-off Callum McColm paved the way for Ross Purves' excellent try in the second half.
This Saturday the Selkirk 'A' players face a vital BT Reserve League National 2 game against West of Scotland 2nds at Philiphaugh, with both sides desperate for points to help them steer clear of the relegation zone.
SELKIRK - R. Banks, R. Hamilton, L. MacLennan, J. Griffin, K. Gerrard, C. McColm, C. McEwan, R. Reilly, R. Wilson, B. Riddell, C. Graur, W. McClymont, R. Purves, S. Mackenzie, R. Cook. Replacements: R. Shiel, S. Hendrie, B. Siyothula.