10/09/16, Report by Gregor Nichol


THE long trip to Dundee seemed to have a knock-on effect, as Selkirk were slow out of the blocks, in a poor first-half showing which ultimately set the marker for the rest of the match, writes GREGOR NICHOL.
1st XV manager Tom Ramage was upbeat about how the team performed and put the loss down to missing key players, and possibly the long journey having an effect.
“We’ve only beaten Dundee once up there in our history, so maybe it’s just not a happy hunting ground for us!
“Their forwards were colossal and we simply couldn't match them in terms of physicality in the set pieces and breakdown. We had 5 players missing from the team this week and that definitely had an effect on us, but fair play to the lads that stepped up and performed for the team.”
Selkirk took an early lead through a long-range kick from winger Josh Welsh on the 4 minute mark, but this was to be the only time the Souters were in front, with the first half being dominated by the home side.
Dundee’s superiority in the scrum was evident from the off, with the Selkirk forwards unable to cope with the difference in size and power.
Dundee won a line-out, and moved the ball well with good handling, before their winger darted over for Dundee’s opening score, converted by stand-off Ewan Fox, to give the home side the lead, this brought the score to 7-3 after 8 minutes.
This was followed by a penalty, and then a converted try by Dundee to take the score to 17-3.
Two more tries came, the latter being a penalty try after Selkirk’s repeated infringements from the scrum on their line gave the referee no choice but to award the home team the penalty try, this was again converted by Fox. 31-3 at half time.
A quick converted try after the half time whistle came from Dundee, before Selkirk showed some resilience to keep out the Dundee side for 10 minutes, this was broken though when stand-off Fox crossed the line, conversion was missed to take the score to 43-3.
Selkirk used their full squad, and the replacements proved to be effective and give the team a boost for the second-half.
It was then Selkirk who finally scored a try, through stand-out second row Max Gordon who touched down an unconverted try, 48-8. Dundee then replied with a further score, before another one of Selkirk’s stand-out players, Ross Nixon crossed the line, the conversion was missed and the score was now 43-13.
Dundee boasted an ex-International player, in the form of veteran replacement stand-off Phil Godman. The home side scored 2 tries, the second being converted by Godman who showed his class to slot over a fine kick. 55-13 with 10 minutes remaining.
Selkirk came back at them after the restart, and centre Nixon ran in his second try, converted by Welsh, making the score 55 – 20.
Dundee finished off the match with a converted try, to bring the final score to 66-20.
Selkirk’s man of the match was Max Gordon.
Although the score didn't reflect well for the Souters, it was a closely contested match, and with Selkirk having a full squad to choose from next week, they will be hoping to turn things around against GHA at Philiphaugh.

SELKIRK: R. Banks, C. McEwan, L. MacLennan, R. Nixon, J. Welsh, C. Whyte, S. Tough, K. Cooney, R. Wilson, L. Mabenge, M. Gordon, P. Forrest, E. Macdougall, M. Robertson, S. Nixon. Replacements: C. McAulay, M. Waldron, S. McDonald, A. McColm, C. MacDougall.

DUNDEE: B. Cochrane, M. Ice, C. Bowie, R. Lemon, F. Mckay, E. Fox, A. Dymock, D. Levison, D. Turner, A. Mackie, C. Cumming, R. Milne, J. Gibson, D. Russell, N. Dymock. Replacements: J. Brady, L. Mclean, K. Franco, P. Godman, C. O’Donnell.