There’s no stopping full-back Ciaran Whyte as he powers over the line for Selkirk’s second try against Edinburgh Accies at Raeburn Place on Saturday.

Selkirk wing Tythan Adams leaves his opposite number in his wake as he crosses for the first of his two tries in Selkirk’s 26-21 win at Raeburn Place.

Openside flanker Matt Robertson dives under the tackle of Accies centre Andrew Bell (right), watched by team-mates Michael Waldron and Ross Nixon.

Saturday was a red-letter day for Selkirk forwards James Bett (main picture) and Josh Mackay (inset), who played their 100th and first games for the club respectively.


Edinburgh Acads 21, Selkirk 26

A MAGNIFICENT display saw Selkirk chalk up a hugely impressive victory over high-flying Edinburgh Accies at sunny Raeburn Place on Saturday – the capital’s side’s first home defeat in BT National League 1 this season.
“It was definitely our best performance of the campaign,” Selkirk assistant coach Michael Jaffray told the web site after the match. “All aspects of our game finally came together – defence, attack, decision-making – with the result that the boys grew in confidence as the contest progressed.
“Unlike against GHA the previous week, our game management was spot-on, so when chances came our way we took them. The effort put in by the whole pack was simply tremendous. We knew that taking on Accies up front would be crucial, and our forwards refused to give an inch.
“Despite having long periods without the ball our defence was rock-solid, and when possession did come our way the players made it count. A lot of Selkirk supporters travelled up today, and it was good to give them something to cheer about.”
Two Selkirk players had special reason to remember Saturday’s victory. The match saw hooker James Bett make his 100th appearance for the club, while at the other end of the spectrum 18-year-old Selkirk Youth Club captain Josh Mackay came off the bench to make his senior debut for the Philiphaugh team.
Despite making a bright start, Selkirk found themselves 7-0 down inside the first 10 minutes when Accies wing Matt Coupar finished off a sweeping threequarters move to score the game’s first try. Robbie Chalmers added the conversion.
It didn’t take the visitors long to get back on equal turns, with Frazer Anderson diving over in the right-hand corner after some slick interplay between Selkirk’s back and forwards. Ciaran Whyte’s conversion kicked sailed over from the touchline.
With neither side gaining the upper hand in some fierce forward exchanges, Accies regained the lead just before halftime when replacement Connor Weetnam capitalised on quick ball to score the home side’s second try. Chalmers’ successful conversion gave Accies a 14-7 halftime lead.
Selkirk put together a series of impressive drives at the start of the second half, and Ciaran Whyte showed some neat footwork to burst through the home defensive line and score a try, which he also converted.
Ben Appleson restored Accies’ lead with a try converted by Chalmers, but the visitors immediately hit back when wing Tythan Adams demonstrated incredible pace to run round his opposite number and score wide out. Whyte’s conversion levelled the scores at 21-21.
In the game’s closing stages both teams went all-out for victory, and it was a piece of clever opportunism that swung the game Selkirk’s way.
Tythan Adams took a quick line-out throw to Ciaran Whyte. The full-back found Ian Oosthuizen up in support, and the strong-running flanker broke 30 meters upfield before giving a well-timed offload to Adams. The wing once again turned on the after-burners and sprinted over the line for Selkirk’s bonus point try – his seventh in six appearances.
Although Accies battled hard to get back on level terms, the visitors held their composure to record a memorable and thoroughly deserved win.
EDIN. ACADS – R. Chalmers, M. Couper, P. Loudon, A. Bell, B. Appleton, W. Stephen, A. Glashan, S. Gunn, C. Black, C. Lacour, S. Gibson, R. Seydak, T. Drennan, J. Sole, L. Seydak. Replacements: C. Weetman, M. McGinley, G. Campbell, N. Aitken, J. Paterson.
SELKIRK - C. Whyte, T. Adams, D. Clapperton, R. Nixon, F. Anderson, G. Craig, M. Davies, K. Cooney, J. Bett, C. Graur, A. Renwick, P. Forrest, M. Robertson, I. Oosthuizen, E. MacDougall. Replacements: J. McGowan, J. Mackay, M. Waldron, J. Welsh, C. McEwan.

Referee – Ross Mabon (Scottish Rugby).