Fly-half Callum McColm launches another attack in Selkirk’s 28-17 Booker Border League victory over Hawick at Mansfield Park on Thursday night.

Selkirk centre Darren Clapperton breaks through the Hawick defence to score Selkirk’s the first of Selkirk’s four tries at Mansfield Park.

Second row forward Jack Houston tackles a Hawick opponent in Thursday night’s game, while number eight Andrew Renwick awaits developments.

Selkirk skipper Ross Nixon leads his team from the field at the conclusion of Thursday night’s hard-fought game.



SELKIRK ended Hawick’s hopes of a place in the Booker Border League play-off final with a well-deserved victory at Mansfield Park on Thursday night. It means holders Gala will now take on Melrose for the trophy at Poynder Park on a date yet to be confirmed.
The Philiphaugh team had to reshuffle their pack just before kick-off in the unavoidable absence of vice-skipper Ewan MacDougall, with Andrew Renwick switching to number eight and replacement Jack Houston being drafted into the second row, where he turned in a confident display in his first senior start for the club.
Selkirk took the lead with a try by outside centre Darren Clapperton, who was in impressive form throughout. A planned backs move saw the ball switched back inside to Clapperton, who took the ball at full tilt to score unchallenged under the posts. Josh Welsh added the conversion.
Unfazed by this setback, Hawick stormed back into the lead thanks to two tries by Neil Douglas, putting the home team 10-7 in front at the break.
Within two minutes of the restart Selkirk had regained the lead. A line-out on the stand side saw Matt Robertson win clean possession straight off the top, with the ball being spun along the line to Selkirk’s flying winger Tythan Adams, who outpaced the defence for a cracking try. Welsh’s conversion put the Souters 14-10 ahead.
Selkirk continued to keep up the pressure on the Greens both at the set piece and in broken play, scoring two further tries through Bonekele Siyothula and Ciaran Whyte, both converted by Welsh.
Before the final whistle Hawick managed to cut the deficit thanks to a try by Neil Renwick, converted by Ali Weir, but there was no denying the hard-working Selkirk side, who finish their Booker Border League campaign just a point adrift of Pool ‘A’ winners Gala.
The Four Seasons Forestry ‘Selkirk Man of the Match’ award went to Josh Mackay.
SELKIRK – J. Welsh, T. Adams, D. Clapperton, R. Nixon, F. Anderson, C. McColm, C. McEwan, B. Siyothula, J. Bett, C. Graur, J. Houston, P. Forrest, M. Gordon, J. Mackay, A. Renwick. Replacements: L. MacLennan, R. Banks, C. Whyte, J. Wallace, M. Robertson, M. Waldron.