Selkirk flanker Matt Robertson breaks up the touchline at Riverside Park on Saturday, watched by team-mates Max Gordon (left) and Andrew Renwick.

Vice-skipper Ewan MacDougall finds his way blocked by two Jed opponents, with Josh Welsh ready to lend support if needed.

Selkirk try scorer Tythan Adams runs full tilt at the Jed defence, watched by prop Bonekele Siyothula.

Scrum-half Callum McEwan sets off on another attacking run, tracked by number eight Ewan MacDougall.

Selkirk’s Peter Forrest is brought down by Jed-Forest prop Paulo Ferreira in Saturday’s match at Riverside Park.



A CONFIDENT Jed-Forest side completed the double over old rivals Selkirk on Saturday at Riverside Park, where spectators were treated to nine tries in a hotly contested BT National League 1 match.
It was the Royal Blues who made the more convincing start, with the home pack calling the shots both at the set-piece and in the loose - a line-out error by the visitors resulting in an opportunist try by Jed’s talented second row forward Gregor Law.
This score spurred the Souters into action, and after slick interplay between Selkirk’s forwards and backs had stretched the home defence to breaking point, visiting skipper Ross Nixon burst clear to touch down under the posts.
Tries by Jed scrum-half Gary Munro and wing Robbie Shirra-Gibb were countered by a try from Selkirk prop Cata Graur, putting the Royal Blues 19-12 ahead at halftime.
Selkirk flanker Max Gordon was showing no ill-effects from his four-month injury lay-off and turned in a five-star display for the visitors, well supported by back row colleagues Matt Robertson and Ewan MacDougall.
For Jed, the strong-running Young brothers were proving a hot handful for the Selkirk defence, and it came as no surprise when Gregor and Lewis each crossed the line for a try to put the home team in a commanding position.
To their credit Selkirk never gave up the fight, and a try by South African wing Tythan Adams (his 10th in 13 appearances for the Philiphaugh side) plus a second touchdown by Cata Graur kept the visitors in touch. Josh Welsh and Ciaran Whyte each added a conversion.
It looked as though Selkirk might sneak a win late in the game when they managed to create a three-to-one overlap, but Jed managed to wrap up the ball-carrier and the chance was lost.
JED-FOREST – L. Young, C. Young, G. Young, R. Hogg, R. Shirra-Gibb, E. Stewart, G. Munro, C. Hogg, G. Paxton, P. Ferreira, C. Skeldon, G. Robson, M. Weekley, C. Cowan. Replacements: G. Slorance, G. Clarkson, D. Grieve, M. Mitchell, C. Gillon.
SELKIRK – C. Whyte, T. Adams, L. MacLennan, R. Nixon, J. Welsh, C. McColm, C. McEwan, C. Graur, J. Bett, B. Siyothula, P. Forrest, A. Renwick, M. Gordon M. Robertson, E. MacDougall. Replacements: F. Anderson, M. Davies, K. Cooney, J. Houston, J. Mackay.

Referee – Steve Williams (Gala).