Sean Nixon bursts through the Musselburgh defence, watched by hooker James Bett.

Selkirk hooker James Bett tries to shake off the attentions of Musselburgh scrum-half Danny Ritchie, watched by team-mates Ian Oosthuizen and Andrew Renwick.

Forwards Bonakele Siyothuloa and Ewan MacDougall come to the aid of team-mate Scott Hendrie in the Stoneyhill game.

Centre Craig MacDougall (left) and wing Tythan Adams (right) about to score tries in Saturday’s 32-16 victory over Musselburgh.

Selkirk supporters Dave Rodgerson, Eric Forster, Alan Turnbull and Jim Hume like what they see as Selkirk rack up the points at Stoneyhill on Saturday.



DESPITE taking the lead as early as the second minute, Selkirk’s frustrating habit of underperformance in the first half resurfaced against Musselburgh in Saturday’s BT National League 1 match at Stoneyhill. However, Ross Nixon’s men looked a totally different team after the interval, running in a further five tries to register a convincing 32-16 win.
“Yet again we didn’t perform nearly as well as we should have in the first half,” Selkirk head coach Graham Marshall told the web site after the final whistle. “Our discipline was poor in defence, and as a result we conceded far too many penalties.
“After the break we held our shape much better, and as a result were able to exert far more control. I cannot fault the boys’ effort, however, which was excellent throughout. The players need to learn to be more patient, and that build pressure both in attack and in defence.
“It was obviously satisfying to score six tries and notch our second away win of the season. Saturday’s game against Dundee is going to be a big test, and everyone will be working hard at training to ensure the players are primed to meet the challenge head-on.”
The Souters’ stand-out player on Saturday was wing-forward Ian Oosthuizen. The South African’s powerful surges, clever support play and rock-solid tackling clearly gave a big lift to his team-mates, and Selkirk supporters are in for a treat when he makes his Philiphaugh debut this Saturday.
He received good support up front from Jock Renwick (making his first start of the season at lock) and number eight Sean Nixon, while Scott Hendrie, skipper Ross Nixon and newcomer Tythan Adams all showed touches of class as the Philiphaugh side grew in confidence as the match progressed.
An opportunist try by Scott Hendrie almost immediately following the kick-off helped put Selkirk on the front foot. However, the visitors’ penchant for conceding penalties in kickable positions allowed Musselburgh fly-half Danny Owenson to land three penalties and give the home team a 9-5 halftime lead.
The visiting coaches’ words of wisdom during the interval clearly galvanised the Selkirk players’ resolve, and when centre Craig MacDougall burst clear to score his side’s second try of the match eight minutes into the second period, the Philiphaugh men never looked back.
Further Selkirk tries followed at regular intervals from Tythan Adams, Ian Oosthuizen, Darren Clapperton and Scott Hendrie (his second), with Josh Welsh adding one conversion. Musselburgh’s only reply came courtesy of a penalty try, converted by Danny Owenson.

MUSSELBURGH – L. Clarke, R. Watt, B. Hibberd, L. Hutson, S. Watt, D. Owenson, D. Ritchie, C. Slaven, R. Gregor, J. Walker, B. Graham, E. O’Brien, G. Bowman, M. Fleming, D. Slaven. Replacements: N. McNairn, G. Talac, A. Cook, E. Milton, C. Livingstone.

SELKIRK - D. Clapperton, S. Hendrie, R. Nixon, C. MacDougall, J. Welsh, G. Craig, J. Wallace, B. Siyothula, J. Bett, M. Waldron, A. Renwick, P. Forrest, E. MacDougall, I. Oosthuizen, S. Nixon. Replacements: M. Robertson, C. Graur, J. McGowan, T. Adams, F. Anderson.
Referee – Dunx McClement (Glasgow).