Prop Cata Graur tries to shake off the attentions of a Peebles defender in Thursday night’s match at The Gytes, watched by team-mate Jordan McGowan.

Selkirk fly-half Callum McColm adds his weight to the pile of bodies heaped just over the Peebles try line, but referee Turnbull ruled no try had been scored.

Skipper Ross Nixon finds himself in the thick of the action, with forwards Matt Robertson and Boni Siyothula ready to lend support if needed.

Selkirk number eight Andrew Renwick hands off Peebles scrum-half Murray Johnstone, as Callum McEwan awaits the outcome of the confrontation.

Boni Siyothula goes on the charge in Thursday night’s game at The Gytes, closely followed by second row forward Peter Forrest.



SELKIRK visited The Gytes on Thursday night to play a Booker Border League Pool ‘A’ match against an in-form Peebles side, who have won 10 out of the 13 games they’ve played in BT National League 2, writes GREGOR NICHOL.
The home team’s confidence showed in the solidity of their defence and in the sharpness of their attacks, but ultimately Selkirk displayed enough ability and finishing power to make them worthy winners.
The contest provided 80 minutes of end-to-end rugby to keep the large Gytes crowd entertained, and afterwards Selkirk team manager Tom Ramage expressed himself satisfied by how the Souters had performed.

“As expected, Peebles proved a hard team to break down, but once we got over for the first try I thought the boys really pushed on from there. The pace and handling of our threequarter line was first-rate, and this definitely gave us an edge.

“It was especially pleasing to see the two young lads in our squad, Robbie Reilly and Donald Nichol, coming off the bench. I thought they both performed very well and got stuck in.”

Selkirk almost scored a try in the opening minutes - full-back Tythan Adams just missing out after being tackled into touch by the corner flag when following up an excellent chip over the top,.

The Souters suffered a blow in the 11th minute when hooker James Bett was forced off the pitch with a neck injury, his place being taken by Ian Oosthuizen.

Things didn’t all go Selkirk’s way, however, with Peebles creating several scoring chances of their own - one particular attack only being thwarted after Selkirk scrum-half Callum McEwan had made a great try-saving tackle in the corner. This was the number nine’s first senior start since breaking his thumb against Falkirk at the end of September.
It wasn’t until the 29th minute that Selkirk opened the scoring. Outside centre Darren Clapperton kicked through for Tythan Adams to gather and dart over the home try line for the try.

Five minutes before halftime Peebles scrum-half Murray Johnstone was sent to the bin following a ruck infringement, and the Souters cashed in when Clapperton scored a slick try following Ross Nixon’s off-load. Peebles replied with a penalty from Greg Raeburn, making the halftime score 10-3 in the visitors’ favour.

After the break a second Raeburn penalty reduced the deficit, before Selkirk began to show their class with a second try by full-back Tythan Adams. The speedy South African was one of the stand-out performers of the night, and posed a real threat every time he had ball in hand. He has now scored five tries in his four games since joining the Philiphaugh club.

The Selkirk backs again showed their mettle when Clapperton threw a long pass to winger Josh Welsh, who gathered cleanly and burst down the touchline to score a try and put the visitors 20-6 ahead.

Soon afterwards young winger Frazer Anderson showed why he was awarded man of the match with a couple of outstanding try-saving tackles within the space of two minutes.

The game’s final touchdown came from No. 8 Andrew Renwick, who powered over the line following an excellent break by replacement lock Donald Nichol. This was converted by Adams, to end the night’s scoring.

A special mention goes to fly-half Callum McColm, who returned to first team duty after suffering a triple jaw fracture against Musselburgh 2nds on September 3, and gave a typically assured all-round display. Meanwhile 18-year-old prop Robbie Reilly came off the bench to make his 1st XV debut and showed great promise.

PEEBLES – M. Cruickshank, C. Blyth, S. Hamilton, D. Anderson, S. Stoddart, G. Raeburn, M. Johnstone, W. Napier, R. McConnell, J. Menzies, W. Brown, R. Brown, R. Guiney, R. Maciver, A. Muir. Replacements: M. Brown, J. King, W. Aitken, R. Stewart, G. Hume, K. Clyde, B. Laurie, R. Britton, D. Anderson, N. Hogarth, J. May, C. Shand, S. Matthews.

SELKIRK - T. Adams, F. Anderson, D. Clapperton, R. Nixon, J. Welsh, C. McColm, C. McEwan, B. Siyothula, J. Bett, C. Graur, J. McGowan, P. Forrest, E. MacDougall, M. Robertson, A. Renwick. Replacements: R. Reilly, R. Wilson, M. Waldron, D. Nichol, I. Oosthuizen, C. MacDougall, J. Wallace.

Referee – Stephen Turnbull (Gala).