Selkirk ‘A’ 46, Linlithgow 2nds 12

Sheer grit sees Selkirk ‘A’ home

NO QUARTER GIVEN. Despite being tackled, scrum-half Allen Jamieson manages to get the ball away to Bryan Hoggan in Saturday’s match against Linlithgow 2nds, while David Gray (left) and Mark Easson await developments.

THE promotion hopes of Selkirk ‘A’ remain very much alive after Saturday’s hard-fought victory over National 2nd XV League opponents Linlithgow 2nds at Philiphaugh. With only two games left to play, the Souters are neck and neck with Perthshire 2nds in the race for the sole promotion spot to Division Three. Physically strong and with a wily Kiwi calling the shots at stand-off, Linlithgow 2nds brought the best out of the home team, with the visitors’ powerful scrummaging proving especially difficult to counteract. However, Selkirk’s players rose to the challenge in typically gutsy style, turning on some wonderful running rugby to complement the brilliant sunshine, and which was a credit to the vision of the side’s two dedicated coaches, Brian Cassidy and Darren Hoggan. No-one did more for the Selkirk cause than centre Gary Lyall, whose midfield breaks helped set up several scores, while full-back David Cassidy was in equally fine form, his pace and angles of attack netting him two first half tries.
Back row forward Bryan Hoggan proved another influential figure, and his partnership with youngsters Keith Connor and David Gray laid the foundations for a five-star display by the whole pack. Selkirk raced to a 10-0 lead through tries from Cassidy and Darren Hulme, but Linlithgow hit back with a score from Steven Robbie. Further tries by Cassidy and Allen Jamieson, plus a Mark Easson conversion, put Selkirk 22-5 ahead at the break.

In the second half, Selkirk made sure of victory with tries from Lyall, Connor, Hulme and Neil Brown, while the visitors hit back with a try from Blair Neillans. In the 71st minute lock Robert Conway was red-carded by referee Gary King following an off-the-ball incident, which proved the only disappointment on an otherwise productive day for the Philiphaugh team.

SELKIRK ‘A’ — D. Cassidy, N. Brown, T. Cove (repl. J. Hendrie, 52 mins),
G. Lyall, D. Hulme, M. Easson, A. Jamieson (repl. B. Armstrong, 56
mins), S. Renwick, G. Rees, A. Johnston (repl. G. Ruthven, 40 mins), R.
Conway, G. Jeffrey (repl. D. Lithgow, 52 mins), K. Connor, D. Gray, B.