’Quins unable to stop Selkirk A bandwagon

Hawick Harlequins 17, Selkirk A 49

ANOTHER confident display by Selkirk’s A team against Hawick Harlequins at Wilton Park, saw the young Souters make it three wins out of three
this season. Saturday’s friendly fixture was no pushover for the visitors, however, with Harlequins making by far the more positive start, posting a 17-12
lead with half an hour gone. After the interval (which featured a blistering pep talk by coach Brian Cassidy), Selkirk stepped up a gear to take control of the game and score 27 unanswered points.
On a rock-hard pitch and with their forwards churning back a copious supply of ball, the visiting threequarters scored six of the team’s seven tries, with centre Neil Brown notching a hat-trick and wing Craig Hunter collecting a brace.
Up front teenage lock Chris Kemp caught the eye with some fearsome tackling, while skipper Bryan Hoggan brought all his experience to bear at number eight and Jim Ross turned in a typically committed performance, despite still having stitches in the eye injury sustained against Jed a week ago.
Scrum -half Michael McVie had an outstanding game, cleverly probing the fringes and linking well with half-back partner Mark Easson, who himself had a highly productive afternoon, amassing 14 points from four conversions and two penalties, as well as clearing his lines with the minimum of fuss.
It was also encouraging to see utility forward Robert Conway make his return to Selkirk colours after a season away from Philiphaugh, while props Lindsay Carrick and Craig Patterson also made their first starts of the season.
’Quins took the lead through a Taylor try converted by Dave Amos, but immediately Selkirk drew level with Brown’s fist try, converted by Easson. The home side went ahead again through a Mark Nichol try, but back came Selkirk with a score by Bruce Armstrong following a quick tap penalty.
An Amos penalty increased ’Quins’ lead, but a Hunter try and an Easson penalty eased the visitors back in front 22-17 at halftime.
In the second period Selkirk’s pack proved too strong for a visibly tiring home eight, and tries came at regular intervals from Hunter, John Pretswell and Brown (2).
On this form Selkirk A can look forward with confidence to their National 2nd XV League campaign, which kicks off against Glenrothes in afortnight’s time.

SELKIRK A — D. Hulme, T. Walling, B. Armstrong, N. Brown, C. Hunter, M. Easson, M. McVie, C. Patterson, J. Pretswell, G. Jeffrey, A. Bell, C.
Kemp, S. McKenzie, J. Ross, B. Hoggan. Replacements (all used): D. McFadzen, L. Carrick, R. Conway.

Referee — A. Ramage (Gala).


REACH FOR THE TRY. Centre Neil Brown stretches out to score the first of
his three tries against Hawick Harlequins.

DONE AND DUSTED. Selkirk’s evergreen threequarter Bruce ‘Jeep’ Armstrong
calmly touches down for a try at Wilton Park on Saturday.