So-sharp Selkirk leave Grangemouth in shade.

SELKIRKíS frustration at this seasonís run of poor results finally exploded at Philiphaugh on Saturday, with the Souters running in eight tries past a bewildered Grangemouth team. For once the home packís dominance was turned into points by Selkirkís threequarters, who showed
both pace and guile in stretching the visitorsí defence to breaking point. Although he didnít manage to get on the scoresheet, the sight of wing
Simon Murdoch back in action proved a huge fillip for players and supporters alike. Despite being diagnosed with a cracked vertebrae which
will require surgery, the diminutive Kiwi with the lion-sized heart displayed all the alertness and determination which helped make him such
a popular player with the Philiphaugh faithful last season. It took the home side less three minutes to open the scoring. A rumble upfield by the Selkirk pack saw the ball quickly recycled, and Karl Saundersí inside break allowed centre Scott Tomlinson to squeeze over in the corner for the first try of the afternoon. With only 10 minutes on the clock Selkirk went further ahead - Murdoch popping up on the opposite wing to feed scrum-half Fraser Jack, who ran in close to the posts, allowing Guy Blair to add the conversion. Five minutes later it was Jackís turn to be the provider. His outside break drew the visitorsí defence, allowing the supporting Saunders to take the scoring pass and touch down. The home teamís bonus point was secured as early as the 30th minute, when Jack broke blind from a scrum close to the Grangemouth try line and sliced through without a hand being laid on him.
Just before the interval Dwayne Jacksonís powerful burst saw Saunders up in support, and the New Zealand full-back touched the ball down behind the posts for his sideís fifth try. Blair added the conversion to put Selkirk 29-0 at the break.
To their credit Grangemouth - who had been hard-hit by injuries and call-offs - never let their heads drop, and in the second half had the satisfaction of getting on the scoreboard through a drop-goal by Jamie Davidson and a try from Johnny Campbell in the gameís dying seconds.
Prior to this, however, Selkirk had increased their stranglehold through tries from Craig Forster and Matt de Franck, with Tomlinson converting
the former.
This victory will have given coach Mick Craig and his team a timely boost as Selkirk build up to this Saturdayís BT Cellnet Cup tie against
Boroughmuir, although the first division leaders will provide a far stiffer test of the Philiphaugh sideís resolve than below-par Grangemouth managed.

SELKIRK ó K. Saunders, A. Jamieson (rep. G. Lyall, 69 mins), M. Jaffray, S. Tomlinson, S. Murdoch, G. Blair, F. Jack, P. Lyons, D. Hoggan (rep.J. McDonald, 42 mins), M. Murray , M. Barnett, D. Jackson (rep. N. Darling, 59 mins), M. de Franck, C. Forster (rep. A. Heatlie, 69 mins),
F. Stevenson.
Referee: T. Chrisp (Heriot-Watt Univ.).

Back to Main Page