- South District Cup -

Second Hawick scalp for Souters

A week after winning their cup tie against Hawick Linden Selkirk 2nds repeated the exercise, this time against Hawick Harlequins, and again away from home they won through although this time they were held to a much closer result.
In fact 'Quins opened the scoring by chipping the ball behind the visiting backs and followed that up by a quick touch-down. Michael Jaffrey broke through the Hawick defence to cancel out that early Selkirk set-back and touched down under the posts to give Mark Easson an easy conversion kick.
A clever chip-kick for Selkirk saw the ball land perfectly for Craig Hunter to weave his way through the Hawick defence on his way up the wing to a score but 'Quins countered the Selkirk pressure with their own brand of ducking and diving which saw a converted a try and the score at 12 points all.
Selkirk got back in front after a penalty award was goaled by Easson but Hawick took the lead again with a further try before Neil Brown put Selkirk in the driving seat again when he powered his way through the Hawick defence.
Mark Easson left the field following an injury and just after this Gary Lyall, who had taken over the kicking duties, added a penalty kick to put the Souters ahead at the interval by 23 points to 17.
Hawick came out for the second half looking like they meant business and were rewarded for their efforts by a beautifully executed try which went unconverted and left them still trailing Selkirk by just one point.
A through ball landed almost straight into Welsh wizard Tim Cove's hands and the veteran Selkirk all-rounder almost danced his way to the line to add a try and Selkirk increased their lead when Craig Hunter grabbed his second which Lyall converted to make it 22-35.
Hawick 'Quins refused to give up and they did managed a final burst with a late try and conversion but Selkirk held on to take the tie.
The Selkirk 'A' squad have their final 15-a-2ide match tonight (Tuesday) with a cup tie against Peebles 2nds at The Gytes, kick-off 7.30 p.m. and will be defending the cup they won last year at the Langholm Junior Sevens at Milntown on Saturday.