Selkirk Sevens 25/8/02

Flare-up puts paid to Royal Scots’ title hopes

AFTER one of the most explosive finals ever witnessed at Philiphaugh, Rotherham kept their cool to collect their first-ever Selkirk Sevens
trophy on Sunday.
On a dry, fine day that got hotter as the tournament progressed, the 2,000-strong crowd received a major shock when things reached boiling
point in the final between the defending champions, The Royal Scots, and English guests Rotherham. Trouble flared within seconds of the kick-off, after forwards Apolesi Satala (Royal Scots) and Glen Remnant (Rotherham) had been spoken to by referee John Hogg following an altercation at a scrum.Remnant received a yellow card for his trouble, while Satala — adjudged the main offender — was red-carded. As Remnant retreated to the touchline he was set upon by an incensed Satala, and within seconds both sets of players had joined in the melee. A handful of officials and supporters took to the field to try and calm things down, and there followed some ugly scenes before order was restored. Down to six men, the Royal Scots never looked likely to regain the poise and panache which had seen them amass a total of 134 points in the previous three rounds. Rotherham, on the other hand, took full advantage of their numerical superiority to run out convincing 31-14 winners — tries coming at regular intervals from Michael Wood (2), Matt Rhodes (2) and Charlie Harrison.

The upset of the day came in the second tie of the tournament, when National League side Annan — coached by former Selkirk player Paul Minto — dumped Kelso 19-17, to fully justify their inclusion at the Selkirk event. Meanwhile the host club also went out at the first hurdle, an injury time try by Hawick punishing some slack Selkirk defending, to edge the Greens home 15-12.

The most enterprising local side on display were undoubtedly Jed-Forest, who followed up last weekend’s victory at Kelso’s tournament with another polished display. Convincing wins were notched up by the Royal Blues over Murrayfield Wanderers and the NIG Scottish Thistles, before Kevin Amos’ men hit the buffers against semi-final opponents Rotherham and lost out 31-14 (by coincidence the same scoreline as the final).

The Selkirk Sevens Cup and winners’ medals were presented by SRU president Allan Hosie, while Mrs Mary Inglis (wife of Selkirk president Jim) presented the Denzil Lloyd ‘Player of the Tournament’ Trophy to Rotherham’s Dave Scully (a member of the Wakefield side which won theSelkirk event back in 1987).


1st round: Royal Scots 55, Berwick 0, Kelso 17, Annan 19; Peebles 12,
Gala 14; Hawick 15, Selkirk 12; Watsonians 10, Melrose 24; Rotherham 31,
Langholm 0; NIG Scottish Thistles 33, Ayr 0; Jed-Forest 28, Murrayfield

2nd round: Royal Scots 45, Annan 7; Gala 19, Hawick 21; Melrose 0,
Rotherham 38; NIG Scottish Thistles 7, Jed-Forest 26.

Semi-finals: Royal Scots 34, Hawick 7, Rotherham 31, Jed-Forest 14.

Final: Royal Scots 14, Rotherham 31.


A yellow card for Glen Remnant in the final

Selkirk Rhinos being presented with their medals by Mrs Hosie, wife of the president of the SRU, Allan Hosie.


Back to main page