Selkirk 'A' 5, Hawick Linden 14

Survival of the fittest as Selkirk and Linden players battle against elements

HAWICK Linden's older players made their experience count in Saturday's friendly fixture at Philiphaugh, with veteran forward John Tait doing more than most to give the visitors a winning edge. The match's early kick-off time meant the majority of play took place during the worst of the stormy conditions, although both sides tried to play positive rugby throughout.

It was the visitors who had the elements at their back in the first half, and for long periods pinned Selkirk inside their own '22'. The breakthrough duly came when wing Craig Black found himself in space wide out to sprint over for the Teris' first try. Steven Beattie added the conversion.

Just before halftime Black again beat the Selkirk cover to register his second touchdown of the afternoon, with Beattie once more bringing out full points. This put Linden 14-0 ahead as the sides changed ends.

With a number of Selkirk Youth Club players once again turning out for the home side, Selkirk 'A' managed to cut the deficit from a line-out close to the Hawick try line. Callum Marshall (making his debut for Selkirk 'A') found himself in space following a clean jump and take, and without a second's hesitation the lanky teenager crashed over the line for a well taken try.

With flanker Scott McDonald and centre Darren Clapperton turning in gritty displays for the home team, Selkirk came close to adding to their total on several occasions. The match also marked the return from injury of back row player Ryan Crockatt, who came through showing no ill-effects.

There was to be no further scoring in the contest, leaving Hawick Linden - currently lying second in Scottish Hydro Electric East League Division One - to run out worthy winners.

SELKIRK - J. Ross, A. Godsmark, D. Clapperton, M. Jaffray, C. Davies, D. Scott, F. Tough, B. Reid, S. Rodgerson, K. Lamont, S. Renwick, J. Everitt, S. McDonald, M. Robertson, R. Crockatt. Replacements: S. Paton, C. Marshall, K. Reid, R. Henderson.

Referee - M. McEwan (Hawick).