Haddington 52 Selkirk 10 (Saturday 15th March)

Selkirk crash out of cup as Haddington gain revenge for double defeat in league

HARD GOING. Selkirk scrum-half Michael McVie finds himself sandwiched between two HaddingtoHARD GOING. Selkirk scrum-half Michael McVie finds himself sandwiched between two Haddington players at Neilson Park, where the home team defeated the visitors 52-10 in the sixth round of the Scottish Hydro Electric Cup on Saturday. The East Lothian side never looked back after scoring four converted tries in the first 15 minutes of the match, so gaining revenge for the two defeats they suffered at the hands of Selkirk in Premier 2 this season. [Picture: Grant Kinghorn]

On a firm pitch and perfect conditions for rugby Haddington rose to the occasion with a terrific performance and dumped Selkirk out of the SHE National Cup. Haddington always looked comfortable with ball in hand and took an early lead when full back Neil Watt outstripped the cover defence to romp home for a try from fully 70 metres. Stand-off Jamie Peters converted and the same player was soon converting his own try for a 14-0 lead. Selkirk were stung again when No 8 Nico Maybury got the touchdown and the Souters were really up against it when Peters added the extra points with barely 20 minutes on the clock. Selkirk regained their composure and caught the Haddington forwards offside at a ruck and centre Ross Armstrong stroked over the penalty to open Selkirk's account.
The Scarlets were in rampant form and in no mood to allow a disappointing Selkirk back into the game. Their lead was stretched to 28-3 when Watt scored his second try, again converted by Peters. Haddington hooker Craig Harrison was yellow carded for his team's persistent infringements at the rucks but Selkirk failed to take advantage of the extra man.
The second half was only five minutes old when winger Crawford gathered a loose ball for a try between the posts. Peters knocked over the conversion and the game was effectively over as a contest. The Selkirk back division was guilty of missed tackles and three further tries were added by Cockburn (2) and Graham Waugh as Haddington kept the foot on the accelerator. Selkirk were able to score a consolation try by the evergreen Michael Jaffray and Ross Armstrong converted from the touchline. However, it was a case of too little too late for the Souters who now have to regroup and concentrate on league business. Coaches Rodney Pow and Kevin Barrie will be keen to erase the memory of this game as quickly as possible. All credit to a powerful Haddington outfit who are obviously keen to finish their season on a high note.

d at the hands of Selkirk in Premier 2 this season. [Picture: Grant Kinghorn]

CONSOLATION. Selkirk’s veteran threequarter Michael Jaffray – making his 439th senior appearance for the club – scored the visitors’ only try at Neilson Park on Saturday. Skipper Neil Darling is on hand to congratulate him. [Picture: Grant Kinghorn]