Haddington 'A' 10, Selkirk 'A' 22

Tough test at Haddington for Selkirk 'A', but victory keeps team at top of the table

AFTER kicking their heels since mid-December, Selkirk's players were keen to get going in Saturday's Border Farm Supplies Championship fixture, played on the back pitches of Knox Academy.

The visitors played down the steep slope in the first half, and opened the scoring in the second minute when Craig MacDougall charged through the home team's defence to score. Darren Scott added the conversion.

Selkirk continued to win a lot of possession and scored their second try midway through the half. Hooker Peter Forrest called a switch move at a ruck and burst over for a try near the corner.

The remainder of the half was fairly scrappy, and Haddington managed to get on the score sheet just before the interval, their big pack driving over the line. Half-time score: Haddington 'A' 5, Selkirk 'A' 12.

Early in the second period Selkirk extended their lead through a Darren Scott penalty, and 15 minutes from time the same player extended the visitors' lead with a well taken try which he then converted for good measure. Soon afterwards Haddington again managed to cross the visitors' line for their second try.

Near the end of the game Selkirk passed up a golden opportunity for a bonus point try when a simple overlap opportunity was spurned - the ball carrier stepping inside, instead of off-loading the ball. Shortly afterwards the referee blew for no-side.

This win keeps Selkirk 'A' at the top of the league table, and another plus-point for the Philiphaugh side was the re-appearance on the replacements bench of flanker Neil Cruikshank, sidelined since September by a shoulder injury.

SELKIRK - R. Henderson, T. Swan, C. MacDougall, J. Hendrie, A. Millar, D. Scott, F. Jack, R. Price, P. Forrest, S. Renwick, K. Connor, G. Jeffrey, D. Gray, S. McDonald, J. Everitt. Replacements - B. Anderson, B. Reid, K. Reid, C. Kemp, N. Cruikshank, S. Nixon.

Craig MacDougall - opened
scoring for Selkirk.