Selkirk 'A' 46, Selkirk Stormers 8

No quarter asked or given as Selkirk teams go head-to-head in crunch derby

THE decision to switch this much anticipated Border Farm Supplies Championship 'derby' to Friday night was fully vindicated by a cracking contest in which Selkirk's 'A' XV and Stormers players served up a pulsating game in front of an appreciative crowd.

Despite being under pressure at the scrum and in the line-out - where Callum Marshall reigned supreme - the Stormers' players more than made up for these deficiencies in the loose, where number eight Kieran Reid and skipper Calvin Henderson gave a spirited lead which their team-mates were only too happy to follow.

'A' XV fly-half Rory Banks gave another polished display, regularly carving out openings for centres Jason Hendrie and Alistair Lyall, but the Stormers had an equally determined threequarter in Craig MacDougal, who had an impressive comeback game after being sidelined for the past few weeks by injury.

Selkirk A's experienced skipper Fraser Jack gave a stirring lead throughout, and it was a typically cheeky touchline breenge by the scrum-half which set up the opening try for Andrew Millar in the sixth minute. Banks converted from wide out, but couldn't add the extra points to Fraser Jack's try on the 21-minute mark.

The Stormers got their first points on the board when a powerful burst up the middle by wing John Graham set up the field position for fly-half Chris Shand to land a penalty in the 24th minute.

Before the interval Selkirk 'A' scored further tries through Rob McGregor and Fraser Jack, one of which was converted by Rory Banks, giving the 'A' XV a 24-3 interval lead which they'd had to earn the hard way thanks to a spirited performance by Stormers' never-say-die troops.

The match was used by 1st XV regular Scott Tomlinson to test out his leg injury, and the number eight certainly showed no ill-effects as he crossed for Selkirk A's fifth try shortly after halftime.

Further tries were eventually scored for Selkirk 'A' by Bob Wilkinson, Tom Swan and Andrew Millar, but the gutsy Stormers had the final say when Tom Walling was driven over near the corner flag for a well deserved try. Credit goes to both teams for producing such an entertaining spectacle, and the fact that the Stormers were able to boast eight replacements on the bench gives an idea of the healthy state of rugby at Selkirk Rugby Club these days.

SELKIRK 'A' - D. Scott, B. Wilkinson, J. Hendrie, A. Lyall, T. Swan, R. Banks, F. Jack, B. Reid, R. Forrest, S. Renwick, S. Nixon, C. Marshall, A. Millar, D. Gray, J. Everitt. Replacements: R. McGregor, I. Walling, S. McDonald, S. Tomlinson.

STORMERS - G. Guthrie, C. Monks, R. Henderson, C. MacDougall, J. Graham, C. Shand, S. Tough, C. Henderson, M. Dogan, K. Lamont, G. Jeffery, K. Connor, M. Robertson, C. Kemp, K. Reid. Replacements: W. McClymont, M. Rodgerson, C. Fairbairn, C. Ward, C. Wildig, R. Cook, B. Anderson, T. Walling.

Referee - I. Dunlop (Dumfries).