Selkirk Stormers 13, Peebles 'A' 0

Senior trio help steady the ship, but Stormer regulars take starring roles

HIGH-FLIERS. Stormers lock Sean Nixon goes head-to-head with his Peebles counterpart at a line-out during Saturday's game at Philiphaugh. (Photo: Grant Kinghorn)

SELKIRK Stormers notched their first league win of the season at Philiphaugh on Saturday, against a Peebles side that had racked up more than 100 points against the Selkirk team in their previous two meetings this season. The Stormers have improved greatly over the last three weeks, and deserved their win.
Played on a very wet and muddy pitch, the contest was a credit to both sets of players, who looked to run the ball at every opportunity. Selkirk made the better start, putting a lot of pressure on the Peebles line but couldn't quite make the breakthrough.
However, on the half-hour mark things changed, with the home forwards driving to the Peebles line and quick ball to the backs saw guest player Fraser Harkness burst through to score near the posts. Halftime score: Stormers 5, Peebles 0.
The second half saw Peebles put in some strong runs but the visitors were unable the make this pressure count. A Selkirk counter-attack took play deep into Peebles territory, where Bruce Anderson stretched the home team's lead from a penalty.
For the remainder of the game the Stormers had the upper hand, and near the end Darren Clapperton went over in the corner to round off a great victory for the home team.
Stormers' man of the match for the second week in a row was flanker Wullie McClymont, who played his heart out for the full 80 minutes and led from the front. The whole Stormers team must take credit for a famous win, with special thanks going to the first team players Fraser Harkness, Jock Renwick and Darren Clapperton for helping out.

STORMERS - F. Harkness, D. Hulme, R. Henderson, J. Graham, M. Dogan, D. Clapperton, S. Tough, B. Reid, S. Rodgerson, C. Fairbairn, S. Nixon, K. Connor, W. McClymont, A. Renwick, C. Ward. Replacements: C. Kemp, T. Walling, P. Forrest, B. Anderson, C. Henderson, K. Reid.
Referee - Gary King (Hawick Trades).