Selkirk Stormers 12, Selkirk 'A' 52

All hands on deck as 'A' XV and Stormers go head-to-head in unique showdown

YOUR CALL. Referee Ian Dunlop is joined by Stormers captain Brendon Reid (left) and 'A' XV skipper Jason Hendrie for the coin toss prior to Saturday's game. (Photo: John Smail)

THERE were a lot of split loyalties at Philiphaugh on Saturday, where supporters weren't altogether sure which home team to get behind - Selkirk 'A' or Selkirk Stormers. It was the first time two Selkirk teams had ever come face to face in league competition, and the match lived up to all expectations.

The greatest cause for satisfaction, however, was the sight of so many local players at Philiphaugh. While some other clubs are struggling to field a second fifteen, Selkirk is in the happy position of having enough playing strength to field three sides, two of them in the Border Farm Supplies Championship.

And while the Stormers naturally went into Saturday's match as underdogs, their players all showed plenty of character over the 80 minutes, taking the game to their 'A' XV opponents at every opportunity.

Making his debut for the Selkirk Stormers was teenage wing Tom Swan from Duns, who had a steady match, while the Stormers had a wealth of experience to call on from the replacements bench, namely coaches Marcus Barnett and Donny Mackenzie, plus the evergreen Derek McFadzen and Billy Gentleman.

With the Stormers choosing to play with the gale-force wind at their backs in the first half, it was Selkirk 'A' who struck first blood with a brace of tries from back row player Scott McDonald. Centre Ross Nixon then scored two tries in quick succession, although a good interception try from Stormers fly-half Rory Banks, converted by Bruce Anderson, kept his team in the hunt.

With the wind behind them in the second period, Selkirk 'A' began to dominate proceedings, notching a further four tries through Alistair Lyall, Callum Johnston, Andrew Miller and Jason Hendrie. Stand-off Darren Scott kicked six conversions.

Near the end Stormers hit back with another try by Rory Banks, bringing to a close a thoroughly entertaining contest.

STORMERS - J. Graham, M. Cockburn R. Henderson, B. Wilkinson, T. Swan, R. Banks, B. Anderson, C. Henderson, I. Walling, B. Reid, F. Tough, B. Amos K. Reid, M. Robertson, R. McGregor. Replacements: D. McFadzen, M. Barnett, D. Mackenzie, W. Gentleman.

SELKIRK 'A' - R. Nixon, J. Hendrie, N. Brown, A. Lyall, C. MacDougall, D. Scott, S. Tough, S. Renwick, S. Rodgerson, C. Wood, C. Marshall, G. Jeffrey, S. McDonald, S. Nixon, J. Everitt. Replacements: G. Blair, C. Kemp, A. Miller, C. Johnston.

Referee - I. Dunlop (Dumfries).